Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scott Pilgrim vs the World
Moon.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
This should be in Netflix trailers. 

--tg
Watched e1 of 8 of the new Netflix series. I was surprised to find that they’ve reassembled the film cast to do the voices. That works better because Michael Pena/Cena works better when I can’t see his oh so punchable nose. 

It’s done in a anime caricature style, using the classic motifs of the genre like the single nostril snot bubble when sleeping or the drop of sweat hovering by the head during awkward moments. These are so common to anime, but they might come off odd if you’re not familiar. The animation is colorful and reminds me somewhat of Powerpuff Girls. 

I read the comic so long ago that I don’t remember it but it’s running fairly parallel to the movie. Ramona works as a Netflix dvd deliverer which is a meta joke. 

I found the first ep charming and was amused enough to watch more, but I’m not going to D00M recommend it just yet, not unless you were totally into the movie. I gather from the posts above that we were all at least marginally amused by the film.

I’m watching 3 new Netflix animes now and it’s kinda weirding me out.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
E2 went into totally different territory than what I remember from the movie. Kinda worked. Kept me engaged at least. 

Still not sure I’ll D00M rec this. I’m not confident that it has established a tone yet. It’s somewhere between the original voice cast and an anime parody.however anime already self parodies, and that part is starting to feel too forced. But the eps are short so I’ll watch some more.
As we scrolled through Netflix, this popped up and the trailer started running. I had left the room for a second and the Queen screamed in horror for the remote. She couldn't reject this fast enough.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Haaaaa. 

Did she like the original or read the comic? I’m guessing no to the latter.
She might have seen the original film. Definitely didn't read the comic. Comics aren't here thing. It might just be the animation.

So much isn’t tQ’s thing. How the heck did you ever become her thing? As things go, you’re quite the acquired taste (but then so is all the britherh00d, amirite?)

This is such a parody of anime style so I get why it won’t work for anyone not into anime. Honestly I’m not that into anime, except for lately, but I get it.
She has standards. And blind spots. Obvs.

E3 - eps are short and I might just binge through this. It’s now a very different story than the film (which I remember remarkably well after seeing it twice). Cera hasn’t been very present in eps 2 or 3 which might seem odd but I don’t want to spoil it just in case any of you bother to take a peek. It’s more about Ramona (aka Hera Syndulla). It should be noted that this series is Scott Pilgrim Takes Off not vs the World, so it’s a much different take, but surreal that it reunites the cast - Brie Larson, Anna Kendrick, Aubrey Plaza, Alison Pill - the original film was quite the launching pad. I should mention that the fight scenes take a step backwards from the movie. Both still have that video game vibe, but the film had Brad Allen choreo while this anime is more like old school street fighter. Ep 3 was very lgbtq which worked well both in storytelling and humor. I’m still watching.
E4 gets meta with a movie being made with the same plot as the series, only one of the match results are reversed and many of the characters play themselves or are cast awkwardly. The Skate boi (#2) gets cast as Scott. This really isn’t about Scott. It’s about Ramona and I’m fine with that. There’s an horde of ninja paparazzi but that failed to amiss. Interestingly, the credits had some notable guests in unassuming unrecognizable small roles: Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, & Bowen Yang.

E5 gets even more meta with the perspective of a documentary being made of the movie based on a variation of the series. There’s a major gay twist, complete with bumping trailers, and there’s also vegan powers. There’s a stunt person fight that was almost funny. 

Still not that into this but it’s gone such a different direction than the movie and eps are short and mindless so I’m still watching.
E6 got meta again with lots of anime references. This show is growing on me mostly for its deadpan voice acting (Elizabeth is killin it) and lack of Cera, plus the anime homage. 

However I’m not D00M recommending it because it only appeals to my peculiar tastes, ones that I don’t share with any of you I think.
And we’re done. It was okay. I remember the original film well enough that I appreciated the twist this took and my meager understanding of anime allowed me to appreciate the satire. The voice cast is impressive with top talent doing some minor roles as some sort of inside joke, but it makes the credits worth reading. 
E7 goes into time travel. E8 (the finale) goes nearly Bollywood. It ended well enough and left the door ajar if they can get a second season. Not sure if I’ll tune into that if they do.

Still not D00M recommended, the only exception being if you are a fan of the original film, then maybe, but it doesn’t seem like any of you are.