Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remembrance & Rejuvenation - Santa Cruz Symphony - Civic
So good to be back. We invested in the season and have 3rd row center seats. 3RD ROW CENTER! This puts us about 20 ft from the conductor, maybe 25 from the first violin. It’s ecstatic seats and this will be us as long as we choose the keep them - at least through this season.

[b]Barber[/b]Adagio for Strings 
This is one of those pieces that’s instantly recognizable because it’s played at so many funerals and used in so many movies. Tore me up. I was profoundly moved. Nigel (1st violin) simply slayed it and that was all I could hear. Sitting so close, I can pick out the lead chairs clearly. It’s a whole other level of listening. Being back at the symphony was pure joy.

[b]Corelli[/b]: Concerto Grosso Op. 6 No. 8 

A pleasant baroque piece accompanied by harpsichord (this concert was all strings). I was seated next to the aisle which gave me a clear view and sound of the 1st & 2nd violin chairs and the 1st cello and their interplay was captivating. Didn’t even tune into the harpsichord until about halfway through. 

[b]Jessie Montgomery[/b]Starburst 

A new composition that was short, sweet and had an odd ending. Didn’t quite get into this one, mostly because it was over before it registered woh me.

[b]Tchaikovsky[/b]Serenade for Strings

The longest piece of the evening (no intermission - a short program overall). Amazing to think this piece came from the same mind as the Nutcracker. Stacy heard echoes of Adagio but I missed that. Her ear is far superior to mine when it comes to classical. She plays classical piano and has practiced almost daily through the pandemic. I occasionally listen to classical when driving. Big difference. I found this to be a beautiful and textured piece, as did the audience who was inspired to clap between movements (that’s a bit lowbrow with the symphony set). It was very satisfying.

What a wonderful evening. The house was maybe a quarter full, which means they probably lost money. But Daniel Stewart (our conductor) signed into a 10 year extension to his contract, which is fantastic because he’s great. 

I turned our new security camera around so we could check on Yuki up until the show started. We got there early to get through vax check (which went smoothly) and caught part of the preshow talk which was informative.

Next show is in January. I’m so excited about our seats this season. I’ve never been so close and it’s a completely different experience.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse