Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Made in Chinatown (2020)

Another indie Kung Fu film much in the same vein as The Paper Tigers http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=6215

This one is by a writer friend and has a stacked cast of real martial artists, mostly NYC folk, but some very reputed people involved, including Greg's BFF Chiu Chi Ling (who gets killed right away, like usual) and the Shaw Brothers icon Lo Meng (who outclasses everyone else as the Tong leader, not just with his caricature bwahahaha, but also with his martial precision). 

It's a goofy comedy about a Chinatown kid who wants to be a Italian mobster, a love letter to Canal street (NYC's version of SF's Columbus - the divider between Chinatown and Little Italy). The mob is involved in moving condiments - oregano, olive oil, provolone. It's a modest flick, amateur at times, amusing at other times. Like TPT, it offers a more genuine peek into American Kung Fu culture, shot in real kwoons with genuine martial artists. 

Having seen the screeners for both of these films, I'm to do some interviews for KFM. I want to draw a comparison, as if this is trend, even though it's just two films that are quite different but share a common undertone. This one is goofier. The writing is more uneven. But like TPT, I know some of the people involved.

I originally only planned to interview Lo Meng but now will interview my writer friend, because it's his baby. Both just want some exposure being indie films. I don't have a lot to say about either film really. TBT is the better film. This one is a tad to quirky and you need to know the martial artists featured to make it work. 

No sword fights. Not DOOM recommended.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse