Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind (1980)
I needed a dose of real Sammo. It doesn't get realer than this - although he spelled his name Samo back then. The credit is Samo and the Hung Team. 

This was one of the first Kung Fu Horror Comedies. Yep, that's an entire genre of its own if you didn't know (although I know most of you did) and it's hilarious, one of my favs. Chinese horror is known as Jiangshi, which means zombie.

This film was written, directed and stars Samo. Also starring is Mr. Vampire himself, Lam Ching-Ying. Samo is a horse-cart taxi driver named Bold Cheung who is being cuckolded by his wife with his main upper class client. His friends try to test his bravery and accidently unleash a mirror demon. But that's just a prepartory side plot. The main plot is the upper class client hires a Taoist sorcerer (Lam) to kill Samo with hopping ghosts and demon possessed fighters. The choreo is top notch Samo - big falls, clever pratfalls, unbeleivable acrobatic air time for someone of his girth. Samo shows is ass, his painted ass no less. Butt Samo is a bad ass. Sorry, couldn't resist that. 

The jiangshi underworld opens the gate to some hysterical combat. Hopping ghosts fight stiffly. Limbs get possessed and fight against their owners. Characters get possessed by the Monkey King or other deities. Fun stuff, perfect for Samo's ingenious choreo. 

Sword fights (although they are wooden swords). DOOM recommended.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
cf reminded me http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=5720

There is a brutal chicken beheading that's for real. There's also an implied dog killing but that's completely off screen. Chicken and dog blood are used heavily in Taoist sorcery.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse