Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazing Grace
A

RETH

A

Heart

Oh my lord.  This now stands as one of the best concert films I've ever seen.  It's Sydney Pollack documenting the the live recording of Aretha's album at a So Cal Baptist Church.  It's low res, probably shot in 16 mm, but Pollack was smart enough to have so many cameras on it that it cuts together really well, and the soundtrack is restored, which is all that really counts. It foregoes too much 'story' and just spotlights the music, which is how all concert films should be.  There's a few rehearsal shots, a slightly creepy sermon from her dad Reverend Franklin, and the Stones are in the house for night 2, which is a minor observation as Mick rocks out to the spirit of the songs.  I've got a soft spot for gospel from Jerry Garcia Band and Reggae.  There's nothing like that choral power and the mighty Hammond organ.  But Aretha takes it to truly ecstatic levels here, at the height of her powers. The version of Amazing Grace shown in the trailer is only a fraction of the performance in the film. If I had ever heard Aretha do this live, I would have converted to Southern Baptistism in a heartbeat.  My eyes were way mistier than in Endgame.  Such divine command of music.  Aretha was surely a channel of the voice of GOD.  

Icon_pray
Shadow boxing the apocalypse