Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
L.A. Confidential (1997) by Curtis Hanson
L.A. Confidential.  Sure, why not?  Don't know why I hadn't seen this before, and it's very highly rated.

Loaded with big-name actors.  A squirrelly plot sometimes compared to Chinatown.  But I'm burned out on political corruption these days, so this didn't do much for me.

But it was good seeing Kim Basinger.  I know there were some missteps in her career, and this role comes after a three-year hiatus for her.  She won an academy award for this -- best supporting actress -- and I have to ask why.  Not that I don't like her.  She's got a look that makes my eyes watch.  But when I think about what she actually did in this movie, well, she stood around looking gosh-darn gorgeous, and she kissed some leading men, leading to out-of-frame shenanigans instrumental to the plot.  But ... there wasn't much for her to do.  The script could have given her so much more to do.  But maybe this was the times, where it was enough for an actress to tempt or motivate the actors.  But it seemed an easy role to me.

By the way, Kim Basinger initially turned down the role.  On three different occasions.  She finally accepted on the fourth go.

What's fascinating to me are the other actresses who turned down the role: Lorraine Bracco, Kate Capshaw, Geena Davis, Melanie Griffith, Teri Hatcher, Anjelica Huston, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Amy Locane, Kathy Najimy, Michelle Pfeiffer, Kathleen Quinlan, Rene Russo, Meg Ryan, and Izabella Scorupco.  Someone should do a documentary just interviewing them all and finding out why they turned it down.

My take: It was a weak female role.  Still, Kim Basinger milked it for an academy award, using some mighty fine milk organs, and that look of hers that makes eyes watch.
I'm nobody's pony.
This film really stuck with me.  It was the first time I noticed Spacey and Crowe.  

And there's this bit of dialog that always stuck with me:

LYNN
You're the first man in five years who didn't tell me I look like Veronica Lake inside of a minute.
BUD
You look better than Veronica Lake.

We were doing this Lion Dance and one of my Kung Fu brothers was trying to hit on the receptionist in the venue.  He said "She looks like Sandra Bullock.  Doesn't she look like Sandra Bullock?" I poached the line from this film "She looks better than Sandra Bullock."  The receptionist melted and my Sidai crumbled.  I wasn't particularly interested in hitting on that receptionist, actually.  It was more of a Kung Fu thing - elder brothers just need to put their juniors in their place sometimes.  

I was going to make up a story about how Teri called me for consultation about taking this role, but this actual story is better.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
That bit of dialog stood out for me as well.  Wonderful exchange.

Simon Baker was interesting to watch -- so very young.  As well as the heavyweights you mentioned.

In 1990, while presenting an academy award, Basinger chastised the Academy for not nominating Do the Right Thing.  Very uppity of her, at the time.  Now one sees her as way ahead of the times.
I'm nobody's pony.
(05-14-2018, 08:10 PM)cranefly Wrote: That bit of dialog stood out for me as well.  Wonderful exchange.

It’s all about the best poachable pick up lines.

I mean lines to keep the younger brothers in place. Yeah. That’s what I mean.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Line noted. Will advise when delpoyed.
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.