[Image: Jumanji-1995-poster-tn.jpg?sr=b&si=DNNFi...MRm1Z4I%3D]
Aug 8
Ghostbusters (1984)
[Image: Ghostbuters-1984-poster-tn.jpg?sr=b&si=D...FYICd3g%3D]
Aug 15
Raiders of the Lost Ark
[Image: Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark-poster-tn.jpg?sr...NK8VI3Y%3D]

Shadow boxing the apocalypse
Who else but Mickey Thomas is still in Starship?

There some bands there that would be fun to see play there one hit.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

Greg- I think Mickey Thomas is about it. Maybe the bass player and drummer? Kantner is dead.

It's funny how they have to name the big hit in the promo so people will know who these bands are. And The English Beat is like Starship; it's pretty much just Dave Wakeling; Rankin' Roger has his own version of the band in the UK.
the hands that guide me are invisible
To be fair, they all do have one more hit that I do.

It's free beach concerts so it's all about one-hit wonders.  It has always been so.  That being said, there are several one-hits I would enjoy if the weather is right (and for FREE).  And if the weather sucks, I'll just listen from my veranda.  Or maybe even my bed.  When the wind is right, I can hear the shows quite clearly, and the volume is just right.

I had a blast seeing Terri Nunn a few years ago - she was awesome, so comfortable with her one-hit-ness, and it was a gorgeous day on the beach.  She really impressed me and I wasn't a fan at all before.  She just knew how to work a Cruz crowd.

Wasn't it just Mickey Thomas when we saw Starship at Great America?  

English Beat is super tempting, even if it's just Wakeling.  I luv Mirror in the Bathroom.
Nope. Grace was still with them. And maybe Craig Chaquico. (Who now does new age music)

(04-12-2018, 11:02 AM)Greg Wrote: Nope. Grace was still with them. And maybe Craig Chaquico. (Who now does new age music)

Yeah, you're right.  I just remembered Grace was still there upon some reflection.  For some reason, the Great America shows stick out in my mind.  Maybe because they were so odd.  I saw Starship and The Monkees there.
I saw X at Great America. That was a strange venue for them.
the hands that guide me are invisible
Los Lobos

Got there right at 8:30 just because. Found a hole front of stage and grabbed the rail. When the band hit the stage, they looked old. DOOM would look better on stage. Barely recognized them. They played a classic rock set, with a 3-song Mexican interlude with accordion, 1st song dedicated to ‘President Chump’ a Mexican love song about a 33 carbine rifle. At points, they looked tired, just phoning it in with a set they’ve performed countless times. Other times they were smiling and jamming, happy to still be playing before an enthusiastic crowd. Hildalgo still has mean chops. I was hoping for their cover of Bertha, got Poppa was a Rolling Stone & Good loving. Opened with Will the Wolf Survive? Encoded with (as they said themselves ‘you know what’s coming’) La Bamba.

Glad I went. When I can walk to front of stage from my bungalow in less than 15 mins for free, why not? I was fantasizing about a dinner of boardwalk junk food but it was all sugar and starch, and I’m off that kick. So I’m home, on my veranda with some prefab soup and a shot of whiskey. Happy Friday!
Happy Friday to you, too!
In the Tudor Period, Fencing Masters were classified in the Vagrancy Laws along with Actors, Gypsys, Vagabonds, Sturdy Rogues, and the owners of performing bears.
Papa Doo Run Run.  It's the season closer.  I was thinking about walking over to catch it.  It's Friday, the start of Labor Day Weekend, and my family is still in Europe leaving me alone with nothing to do.  But as I lie here on my bed with the window open, I can hear them perfectly.  Right now, they're playing Summertime Blues.  Alas, at least I caught one show - I feel kind of obligated to see at least one a year.  It's my freakin backyard.

I feel a nap coming on...