Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Beloved Bodyguard
This is the new Sammo Hung. Luved it. Sammo has always had a surpring style of filmmaking and storytelling. This is sammo's update. It's stylish, almost artsy, irreverent, and cinematographically engaging. Some beautiful moments - fresh and funny. And brutal. It's probably too long a wait for the few fights, but the big fight delivers like only Sammo can. Big falls from great angles. CGI X-Ray vision to illustrate to bone breaks. It's only a few moves per shot but the action is tight and Sammo still has great hands. Sanguinous. No sword fight but lots of knife fights. Lots of cool cameos too - Tsui Hark, Karl Maka, and maybe all of the 7 fortunes except Jackie. 

Sammo is an ex-super-bodyguard with Alzheimer's. Andy Lau is a bad dad of a super cute urchin. He runs afoul of a gang starting a turf war on the Russian/Chinese border. It's a simple idea but well executed. 

I should confess that I'm a big fan of Sammo and am probably really biased.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I'm posting this on this thread because both films are from this year and surreptitiously titled Bodyguard. There's some variation in some of the English titles (beloved/super) but these might shift. I must check if the Chinese titles are the same....later.

This is the 2nd film written & starring Yue Song (see http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomFor...p?tid=2976). It costars Shi Yanneng who I knew from my early Shaolin years. Like Song's 1st film, there is a threadbare plot and a lot of action. Bodyguard protects hottie, and an evil gang wants her to get at her dad - actually there's a lot more intrigue because the adversaries are martial brothers (Song is iron legs ala Idle in Munchausen/Yanneng is iron fist ala Iron Fist et.al.) and there's more but it never interrupts the steady flow of fight scenes. The choreography is much stronger - good wire work, some major falls, some stunts and some preposterous fights. Yue takes on double hatchets, a giant, a gang of like 50+ baton & ratchet wielded, a cute double dagger villianess, a dude with a horse-cutting lance, and of course, Yanneng. It's superhero fightin' where people get kicked through concrete walls - quite tongue-in-cheek, with echoes of Shaolin Soccer silliness. Very entertaining as long as you park your brain outside. VERY DOOM.
Rewatched Sammo's Bodyguard. Such an odd film, so sentimental, so sanguinuous, so Sammo. Obviously o enjoyed it enough for a second helping and was satisfied. I caught more of the inside cameos this time.