Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MTT conducts Charles Ives - SF Symphony - 4/9/06
Part three of our Target Family SF Symphony was wonderful. They sent us a What Charlie Heard, which is a fantastic children's book about Charles Ives. Stacy believes Ives will be remembered as the great American composer. I'm inclined to agree. I actually got into Ives through the Grateful Dead, who were all avid fans. In fact, prior to the final performance under the name 'Grateful Dead' (this was just after Jerry died and the night before I left for China) MTT conducted an Ives piece. (The boys jammed with MTT on a John Cage piece as the main event.)

MTT dissected the components of two of the holiday pieces, then played them through. I enjoyed the analysis, but would have rather heard them unprepped first and just let them wash over me, evoke their own images. When the pieces were played, my only complaint was that they were too short.

Apparently Ives composed a piece for four orchestras (Fourth of July, which was the second holiday piece, requires two conductors). I would love to hear that, but it's tough to get four orchestras together, plus it must be so difficult to play. Still, what an experience it would be.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse