Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Into the Woods (2014)
Went to the theaters two days in a row! It seems there are benefits to living in Saratoga

It's the movie of the Stephen Sondheim musical with an all start cast of people you didn't know could sing. Emily Blunt, Amy Adams, Christopher Pine and scene chewer Meryl Streep.

I can only name one song from the movie and that was 'Agony'. It was the best moment from an otherwise dull affair. Chris Pine and the other prince do a great job of this song. Pine reminded me a lot of Scapino with his intentional over emoting.

I think they sang 'Into the Woods' for such a long time that I thought this might be an opera. But no. It was just a long tedious song.

The thrust of the movie is a reinvention and mash-up of a punch of fairy tales. Red riding hood, Rapunzel, Sleeping Beauty, and some witch story. It's a bad mash-up. The story seems to come to a finale where everyone is happy and then keeps going.

No sword fights. Lots of running in the forest. Lots of pointlessness.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
We walked to the Del Mar to catch this as a family. The Del Mar is a beautifully restored historic theater downtown that usually plays artsy flicks. S & T loved it. I was amused as I do so love a good musical, but I might have been biased after reading your 'meh' review here, Greg. I've never seen ITW before, but it was so Sondheim it hurt - that stereotypical counterpoint singing style of his, particularly in the title track. Nevertheless, iIt made me want to see the play.

As for the story, I've seen sooooo many fairy tale mash-ups. This was just another one in that regards. I'm happy that it went back to the original Grimm stories, particularly with the blinding of the prince and the foot-clipping of the evil stepsisters. Poor Lucy Punch. She is destined to play evil stepsisters but she's so damn good at that role - she embodied it with Ella Enchanted.

As for the singing, Johnny Depp can't sing but we knew that from Sweeney Todd. I'm not sure that Meryl can sing either. I think she's just such a good actress that she can act like she can sing. Emily Blunt was a revelation. Who the heck is James Corden? The kids, Jack and Red Riding Hood, were great - classic Broadway voices. And Anna Kendrick, well, we've known she's got great pipes since Pitch Perfect. Amy Adams? WTH? Do all white chicks look alike to you, Greg? Tongue

I totally agree with you on Chris Pine. He's such a great over-actor, nailed this role and stole the show. I think it all rubbed off on him from playing Capt. Kirk. I think that had the same effect on Scapino too.

I was bummed there wasn't a sword fight, but at least they had swords. HP factor: 1 - Giantess = Madame Maxine (T figured that one out).
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
I don't have the same deep appreciation for blonde haired waif creatures, as you. And I meant Anna Kendrick (Up in the air)
Anna Kendrick ain't blonde. She's got brown hair.

[Image: anna-kendricks-gq-magazine-september-2013-women-02.jpg]

And Amy Adams is more of a redhead.

[Image: 936full-amy-adams-amy-adams-vs-gal-gadot...eight=1257]

Man, I miss 'trenches'.
In my mind, I saw white chicks and recorded it as white haired chicks.

Even when I was writing the post, I was thinking to myself that neither was blond but maybe DM saw something I didn't?

That's my story. I'm sticking with it.
It's like that M. Night Suxatdirectingman film, the 6th Sense, but instead of seeing dead people, you see blonde white chicks. If only, brudda, if only....

I know, I know, that doesn't work at all, but it's Monday after the holidaze, just what do you want from me? Rolleyes
You started it.

Can we just agree that Agony was the highlight of that film and move on?
First post on this thread = Greg. I know you are but what am I?

And another thing. The whole Blue Moon schtick really bothered me. Blue Moons don't happen once every century and they aren't like a lunar eclipse but blue. A Blue Moon is just when we have a second full moon in a month. Heck, we'll have one this July. T thought I was being picky when I brought up this point and now claims that any of her petty complaints about fantasy fiction logic are totally justified.

Agony was the highlight for sure. That was a genuine lol moment for me. Next, I want Chris Pine to do a new version of T. J. Hooker with Kaley Cuoco taking over Heather Locklear's role.
I'll show you a moon.

I had the same thought when the Blue Moon discussion came up. I'm well aware of the Blue Moon definition.
I am so glad that T is pulling the illogic card. Maybe there's hope that a new generation of film-goers will force Hollywood out of their somnambulist slumber.
As for Blue Moon, I had something eerily similar happen to me at a gathering of science fiction writers in December. A certain Asian writer who will remain anonymous was chatting me up on the difficulties of remaining productive. He's a name-dropper, and you frequently see photos of him with high-profile people. Anyway, he started telling me about a chat he had with James Tiptree Jr., and all the good advice that Tiptree gave him. I'm standing there trying to hide my shock as this Asian writer keeps referring to Tiptree as "he," because as almost everyone knows by now, Tiptree was actually a woman.

I consider calling him on it, but in the end just continue to nod as he holds forth at length, and all the while my opinion of him is going through the floor.

BTW, writer gatherings can be ghastly affairs. Writers really aren't very interesting, and very few of them actually have an interest in hearing what other writers are working on. But that's what they all end up asking each other.
I'm nobody's pony.
Into the woods is Tara's high school play. Saw the 1st of 2 performances tonight. Seniors get the lead roles. Tara was cast as Jack's mom, the one character she did NOT want, and it was heartbreaking for her, but she has braced up and sang really well. It's an impossibly complex and ambiguous show for high school. The counterpoint and rapidity is technically challenging. Plus in order to fit the entire high school in, they added characters. Feckin 2 1/2 hours. But the kids were impressive in the end. Tara did quite well considering her disdain for the role, and she has the only on stage death unless you count the wolf and the cow.

After this, there's the Ramayana, and then I'll probably never see her in another play again.
Dude, get out the video camera.
As a matter of fact, my anger does keep me warm

The school does video and produces a DVD for a fundraiser. All private schools do this.