Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
42 (2013)
It's the Jackie Robinson story. Or is it? It seems the majority of the story was about Branch Rickey, the owner of the Dodgers back in 1947. The role is filled to the brim by Harrison Ford who decided to do some acting for a change.

For some reason, the story wasn't that involving. If you follow baseball even a little you know that Jackie Robinson was the first black player in MLB history. This movie goes into all the little details about the problems Robinson faced in merely having to play the game. There was unrelenting racism and more. He couldn't stay in the teams hotels. He was forced to use separate restrooms. At one point, a sheriff was going to arrest him for even being on the same field as white players. The worst came at the hands of Alan Tudyk who played the Philadelphia Phillies manager. His character just stood at the batters box and hurled racial epithets while Robinson was up to bat.

But it all seemed like I've seen this before. It wasn't especially revelatory. I didn't learn anything new. Don't we all know at this point how bad racism was back in the day? (And thought it is better now, it still exists)

For me, Branch Rickey had the best parts in the film. He fought a fight he didn't have to fight. He took the heat from all sides, too, maybe not to the extent as Robinson but he took a lot of flack for allowing Robinson to play.

The film while well crafted came off as a really good Hallmark special.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit