Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost in Thailand (2012) by Zheng Xu
Remember back when I dared review posters of movies? That was pretty shabby, I admit. Well, now I'm stooping even lower. No, I haven't seen Lost in Thailand. No, I haven't seen its poster. But I am very much interested -- even anxious -- to give it a gander. One could say I have a professional need to watch and deconstruct this movie -- based on the following:

Quote:The idea of a Chinese writing competition targeting American screenwriters came about after the limited release of Lost in Thailand in the U.S. box-office. While Lost became the highest grossing domestic film in Chinese history, it had a dismal opening in America, and was immediately pulled from theaters.

http://ljnmedia.com/beijing-internationa...s-winners/

Maybe after I get back from Beijing...
I'm nobody's pony.
It defied all Chollywood conventions - essentially a low budget indie that stole the thunder of massive govt-funded blockbusters. I'll ask my connections for a version with subs.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse
...but it doesn't translate well just because it's Asian cinema. You have to know who Fan Bingbing is. It's a classic buddy travel flick complete with a villain close on their tails. It had some really good moments, surprising in the way that Asian cinema can be, kitchy in that very same way. It's a little longwinded at times, but it got a good chuckle out of me and it captures modern Thailand magnificently. There's some innovative cinematography too. But by Hollywood standards, it's not mind-blowing on any level, just a typical buddy travel flick only the buddies are Chinese and the travel is in Thailand. There's even a sword fight (well, more of a ratchet fight, but that totally counts). It's a must-see for anyone watching Asian cinema now as it had such impact, but I wouldn't really recommend it otherwise. You got to be into the genre to want to check it out.
Well, the library finally has this, and tonight I sat down full of anticipation to watch it.

Gave up two minutes in.

What the freaking hell is Mountain View Library doing buying DVD titles that don't have English subtitles!

All right, all right. Guess I'm not the center of the universe. I'll just climb back in my little hole now....

--cranefly
I'm nobody's pony.
Lost in Hong Kong is the 2015 sequel by Zheng Xu. It was another huge blockbuster in China. It's a completely different story with Xu directing, writing and starring in it, with many parallel thematic elements. Xu is an everyman facing midlife crises and stuck with a dopey buddy. There's a quest after a dream girl, this time the luminous Du Juan. There's a lot of absurd mishaps, and a few amusing twists, and it shows off HK magnificently. I was put off at the beginning with one of my fav starlets, Zhao Wei, sneak-banging Xu's morning wood in an attempt to get pregnant. Honestly, Zhao is someone dm would use his celebrity-exemption for in a heartbeat. Those huge eyes of hers - you know some actually tried to sue her because her eyes sucked his qi out thru the tv. Srsly. So dm is thinking a morning-wood-bone-jumping by Ms. Zhao is not to be taken lightly. But despite the awkward start, the film comes together in its own charming way by the end.

Note: you really got to know HK film to fully appreciate this one. It's full of nods to classics like Jackie's double-decker bus umbrella hang in Police Story. There are several other nods like to Comrades: a llove story, bit I'm guessing none of you have seen that one.

Won't play well in the U.S. tho. It's way too Chinese.
I had seen that this was available on Netflix streaming, but doubted it would hold a candle to Lost in Thailand.  Now maybe I'll check it out.

I did finally see Lost in Thailand with subtitles and was suitably impressed.  It got pretty dumb in places, but overall it had a surprisingly strong screenplay.  So many threads were set up early on, and it delivered on a high note on each one.  Some very funny laugh-out-loud sequences.  It fully deserved being a blockbuster.
I'm nobody's pony.
Zheng Xu has an eye for absurdity coupled with heartfelt sentiment that borders on sappy.  Seeing this one gives a better sense of his filmmaking style as LiHK uses the same recipe as LiT, but given the expectation, he has to take it a little further.  The finale is really absurd, and I'm still debating if that worked or not.  Missing is Wang Baoqiang, who I've really grown to like, but he's replaced by Zhao Wei, so there you have it.  It's an odd role for Zhao Wei, the sperm-hungry wife hoping to get pregnant.  Did I mention the fertility stimulating acupuncture scene?  That really stuck with me this morning (pun intended).

You know, Dm was in the same space as Zhao Wei once.  It was at the Shaolin Festival.  She performed in a huge stadium and dm sat in the audience with tens of thousands of others.  But there was a connection between dm and Zhao Wei for sure.  For sure.  

I saw LiHK on Netflix (mind you, I never went back for the subbed version for Lost in Thailand).
Buddies in India (2017).  I should trust Wang Baoqiang more.  He's a Shaolin-trained celebrity who grew up in Shaolin village.  Maybe he was one of the thousands of kids I saw when I was there.  Now he's leading the pack of pop Kung Fu Comedies, now that Jackie and Stephen have faded in their humor.  In some ways, BiI is what Jackie's Kung Fu Yoga and Stephen's Journey to the West aspired to be, with that distinct Baoqiang 'buddy flick' formula.  It's PRC meets Bollywood, colorful (yes, several dance numbers), fightful (yes, swordfights and some decent one-er wire-fu), scenic (yes, obligatory ancient ruin locations), crass (yes, fart jokes), racist (yes, poor mexicans in the chili eating contest), cliche (yes, buddy-break-ups-&-reconciliations), cheesey (yes, cartoonish cgi), foreign (yes, a few hairpin turns outside our cultural box), long-winded (yes, even at only 99 min runtime) and epic (yes, this is a wicked spin on the Monkey King and Hanuman legends).  

It's far from perfect, but it's a taste of what PRC thinks might win Chinese audiences and crossover to Bollywood, with absolutely no consideration for the Hollywood market.  And it did $100M in PRC so not too far off the mark (can't find India Box stats).

As a huge fan of Journey to the West and the Ramayana, the monkey king aspect really worked for me. I'm not confident it works for anyone not well familiar with the trappings of the Chinese and Indian filmmaking or those legends.  Maybe cf might be fascinated as I was but I'm not sure the rest of you will be as amused.  

Amazon Primer...

2 more things:

1 - this is very much a Chinese New Year flick

2 - trailer (this spoils some of the jokes)
Haven't looked at the above trailer, because I'm thinking of watching the movie.
Where to access?  Son of a gun, it's on Hoopla that I access thru the library.
Soon.
I'm nobody's pony.
(09-21-2019, 08:06 PM)cranefly Wrote: Haven't looked at the above trailer, because I'm thinking of watching the movie.

good call.
Detective Chinatown (2015) 
Another buddy film with Wang Baoqiang cast as the bumbling fool. Set in Thailand too. Unfortunately this one sucks.  It was a holiday release, and the sequel, released last year for Chinese New Years was well received, so I figured I'd go back for the original.  Very disappointing on many accounts.  The fights are bad, a waste of Wang's skills, and almost all of them end up in groin grabs and strikes, for comedic effect.  Wang's buddy is a failed police candidate raised on detective stories and does a Sherlockian-style of memory effects when he discovers clues (he's so eidetic that he can recognize Thai even though he can't read it).  Wang gets framed for murder, and there's too many absurd chase scenes through Bangkok where dozens of cops are running behind Wang and his buddy.  There's a lot of hackneyed comedy tropes, like an extended everyone-hide-in-the-hottie's-boudoir scene, which is almost funny. There's a running joke on a foppish cop who keeps getting his nose broken that drew a smirk at one of the final breaks but not quite a laugh. There are multiple lines where they say something akin to 'that's like something out of a bad movie', a painfully self-aware observation.  Also ironic is that 'buddy' is subtitled 'bubby' in several spots.  

I almost didn't make it through to the ending, and sadly, the reveal wasn't bad. The mcguffins were actually pretty good - the murder plot was complex and works, although by that point, it didn't redeem the film.  

Here's the trailer.  Might as well watch it because I'm not recommending this film at all, even to cf.