Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gone Girl by Gillain Flynn
Probably the most talked about book of the year and it is worth the hype. I think I waited about four months to finally get it from the library. I know, why didn't I just buy it from the book store like a real American and be done with it?

The book is about Nick and Amy, a married couple caught up in the depression of the mid 2000's and are forced to move back to Missouri. The book is told in a double first person style from Nick and Amy's points of view and details how their marriage is going. The book starts with the day Amy disappears and throws Nick's life into turmoil. Amy's half of the book is told in semi-flashback from her diary. Problems and trouble ensue as we learn about Nick and Amy's less than idyllic marriage and how it was falling apart right up until the time Amy disappears and the police start looking at Nick to be the guilty party.

Now this would make for a pretty standard potboiler, but Ms. Flynn throws in a special something that takes the potboiler to the next level of twistiness. If you know what that ingredient is, like I did, you do spend a portion of the book waiting for it to happen. And it was pretty honked up.

All in all, a good book. There was dome dragging at the end as parts were tied up and you just want to see how it finishes, but it is worth the read.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit