Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wide Open by Deborah Coates
This was a bad book. I don't even know why I finished it.

Hallie Micheals is a cranky army soldier back to attend the funeral of her sister in Someplace, South Dakota. She died for seven minutes in Afghanistan and now she can see ghosts. There is a strong whiff of the Six Sense in all of this. Coates should have give a shout out to Shymalan in the credits. Basically, the ghosts need Hallie to help them so they can move on to the great beyond.

Naturally, Hallie's sister was murdered and her ghost needs Hallie to find the killer. Hallie goes about it in a half assed way. She just seems to run from one dead person or akward situation after another. If she isn't fighting with her enemies, she is fighting with the deputy trying to help her, who she also is attracted to. Deputy Boyd also has psychic powers of his own. Hallie is usually yelling at Boyd to tell her what he thinks really happened. Eventually they make out just before the Giant fire demon attacks them.

For some reason, the main villain is equally lame. He has psychic powers to. He just wants to explain himself to Hallie and get her to understand that he really wants to save the wordl. His powers came because his grandmother showed them to him. It is all very murky what they are doing.

The book is full of half finished subplots that just seem to be page filler. Hallie has one scene where she checks on the villains wind-turbine experiment only to find out it is fake. But since she found it was fake so easily, wouldn't everybody.

I just hated all the characters in this book and the stupid story they were involved in.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit