Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11/22/1963
Do you remember when Stephen King said he was going to cut back on his writing after his accident? Has there been any sign of that?

11/22/1963 tells the time travel story of Jake Epping who goes back in time to hopefully foil the Kennedy assassination. It is quite the door stop of a read.

I always like to read King but I'm usually never satisfied with the stories he tells. There is always something in the characterization or plot that bugs. It is the fly in the ointment that spoils an otherwise good read.

And his books are well written. My favorite was the Shining written millions of years ago and the movie versions suck. I also like his short story collections, too. They are usually much superior to his novels.

That being said, I think 11/22/1963 succeeds on pretty much all accounts. The time travel gimic is close to satisfactory, but the rest of the characterizations and place setting and story telling really work. I especially like how other characters from his other books pop into his books. A lot of this book takes place in Derry so stories that are set in Derry in the Kingverse are talked about in this book. Most notably a killer clown.

But mainly this book follows Jake as he tracks down Lee Harvey Oswald in the hopes he can prevent Kennedy Assassination. if you don't know much about Oswald, this book does tell his story in the years leading up to the assassination. It also gives you a good feel for what small time Texas life was like in Fifties and early Sixties.

It's a good enjoyable read. Has a little history. Has some suspense. Not a lot of horror. And when you are done, you can use the book for a doorstop.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit
I'm a sucker for time-travel books/games/media. I sometimes have trouble getting to sleep as I wonder what someone from the (past/future) would do when transported to the (past/future).

Modern man has this weird preconception of our ancestors as incapable of conceiving scientific advancements like electric lights and televisions. The truth is closer to "Brave New World", it's not the technology that confounds, it's the culture.

(non-spoiler)

"11/22/63" posits that the assassination of J.F.K. was a 'domino' that started everything from the death of Martin Luther King to the Vietnam War. Preventing his death would spawn an era of peace and love only dreamed of in the hippie movement and 'Star Trek'.

Our protagonist is given this opportunity, but time-travel involves other people, other life-changing opportunities, paradoxes and practicality.

I'm not going to review this book, because every page is a discovery in how one adjusts to temporal disfunction. It is well thought out, brilliantly executed and LOOOOONG.

If you love authors who pay attention to minute details AND blow off contradictions/paradoxes as 'not important' then I would highly recommend this novel.

BTW - King did a TON of research about JFK and the era. It's almost a history textbook that happens to have a main character.
[Image: magpie13.gif]
Yes, The topics have been merged.
So much for the flickr badge idea. Dammit