Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S.F. Symphony @ Davies 4/16/8
Bernard Labadie conducting. We had seats way up in the nosebleed section and yes, those front row seats we had for the family shows have spoiled us.

First piece was Gluck, Orchestral Suite form Orphee et Eurydice. It had a harpsichord, which I've always found to be an odd instrument. It reminds me of baroque France, of Marie Antoinette, of poofy wigs and satin coats. I wasn't familiar with the piece and the harpsichord bothered me a bit, but the flute solo was fabulous.

Second was Mozart, Clarinet Concerto an A major. Mozart never fails to satisfy and the clarinet is the anti-harpsichord. Smooth as a babbling brook of satiny chocolate, the soloist was from the S.F. symphony and made it look so easy. Phenomenal piece.

Third was Ravel, Pavane pour une infante defunte. It was very short. The guy in the seat behind us was tapping his feet and started talking. What an idiot. A few rude stares and he ceased. Almost came to blows. Dm was imagining putting him in a leg lock and making him scream. In the nosebleed seats, your head is right next to the foot of the person behind me.

We left before the final piece. Sitter time was up.
Shadow boxing the apocalypse