Forums
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum)
+-- Forum: Doom Arts (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Doom Books (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (/showthread.php?tid=7299)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - King Bob - 11-12-2022

I got a copy of this for a quarter at the library sale so I could trade it since it looked unread. So I decided to read it first. I imagine at least half of you have read this. Somehow I didn't despite my two jobs at bookstores. I'll skip the recap.

It was entertaining and moved well, but had a first novel feel to it. The brother and sister plot seemed a bit silly and the book didn't need it. Curious about the sequel, but may never get around to it.

RE: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - thatguy - 11-12-2022

I believe there are multiple sequels, the first, Xenomorph(?), follows Ender, who feels bad for (for being tricked into?) ending an entire species, and goes off on a quest to reconcile...

I liked the first one when it came out, but I saw the movie and felt it was really targeted to JA and in retrospect, the book probably was, too. 

--tg

RE: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - Greg - 11-13-2022

Oh, boy. Orson Scott Card was my go to author for the longest time. I read a ton of his books. The sequel to Ender's Game was Speaker for the Dead. It also won the Hugo. I really loved Ender's Game when i read it back in the 1980s. He also has a great selection of short stories floating around.

But OSC kept going back to the well of Ender's Game. He started writing the same book from different points of views of other characters in the stories. This got tiresome as I wanted new stories and he kept rewriting this one. I did like his Alvin Maker series as well, at least the first three books in the seven book cycle. But there was a big break and I lost track of the series. I also started reading OSC's political takes on his website and I grew very disinterested in what he had to say.

RE: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - Dr. Ivor Yeti - 11-13-2022

(11-13-2022, 12:27 PM)Greg Wrote: Oh, boy. Orson Scott Card was my go to author for the longest time. I read a ton of his books. The sequel to Ender's Game was Speaker for the Dead. It also won the Hugo. I really loved Ender's Game when i read it back in the 1980s. He also has a great selection of short stories floating around.

But OSC kept going back to the well of Ender's Game. He started writing the same book from different points of views of other characters in the stories. This got tiresome as I wanted new stories and he kept rewriting this one. I did like his Alvin Maker series as well, at least the first three books in the seven book cycle. But there was a big break and I lost track of the series. I also started reading OSC's political takes on his website and I grew very disinterested in what he had to say.

Ditto