The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Forums
Everything Everywhere All At Once - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum)
+-- Forum: Doom Arts (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Doom Movies (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+---- Forum: Martial Arts (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+---- Thread: Everything Everywhere All At Once (/showthread.php?tid=6922)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Everything, Everywhere All at Once (2022) - Greg - 02-17-2022

In whatever happened to that guy news

Empire Magazine Wrote:Among the child actors that defined the 1980s, Ke Huy Quan stands tall – even if he was most famous for playing a character named Short Round. Between Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom and The Goonies, where he played the gadget-packed Data, Quan starred in two of the decade’s greatest adventure movies – but for the past thirty-plus years, he’s been largely absent from our screens. Now, he’s back in a big way in Everything Everywhere All At Once – the new film from director duo the Daniels, previously behind the totally-out-there Swiss Army Man. This one is a multiverse-spanning odyssey, as Michelle Yeoh’s Evelyn is made aware of alternate realities where she pursued different life-paths. Quan plays her husband, who also has multiple variants existing in various timelines.
Though Quan had decided to leave acting behind him, the script for Everything Everywhere All At Once made its way to his door, and was powerful enough to bring him back to the business. “I started reading it at 1am,” remembers Quan, “and I didn’t finish until 5am. I laughed so hard and so long, I woke up my wife. And by the time she came out, I had tears running down my cheeks. She said, ‘Are you okay?’ I said, ‘I love this script. And I think this role is written for me.’”

It was a far cry from the dispiriting roles that led Quan to retire from Hollywood years before. “Those two characters are not your typical stereotype Asian characters,” he says of his iconic ‘80s roles. “Short Round is courageous, he saves Indy’s life. Data is one of the gang. But as I got older, there were not a lot of offers, and even when there was one, it was very stereotypical. It wasn’t fun to audition for those.”
[Image: indiana-jones-temple-of-doom.jpg?format=...=aspectfit]
And, really, it’s hard to find a way up from working with some of the greatest filmmakers of all time in your earliest roles. “Being on a set with George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford, for an actor, is like you’ve died and gone to heaven, basically,” he recalls. And now, with an eye-catching performance in one of the year’s buzziest films, Quan is here to stay. “As the days went by, I realised, ‘I definitely belong here. And I want to be here’.” It’s good to have him back.
[url=https://www.empireonline.com/people/ke-huy-quan/][/url]

RE: Everything, Everywhere All at Once (2022) - Drunk Monk - 02-17-2022

Cool. Never liked that name, but loved that character. 

I remember I was dating an Indian gal at the time and she was totally offended by that film, especially the banquet scene. 

I was just pondering a pitch for Den related to this project.

RE: Everything, Everywhere All at Once (2022) - Greg - 02-17-2022

I was in film school at the time and mentioned I liked that film in a screenwriting class. The teacher said I'm glad you liked racism. Or words to that effect.

Everything Everywhere All At Once - Drunk Monk - 03-18-2022

(12-14-2021, 08:26 AM)Greg Wrote: I feel this should have been a Sober Monk post, but now that he's sober, I guess he just doesn't care about us.

This looks messed up and I am ready for it.

Well that didn't work out at all. Or did it?

I got invited to this screener for yesterday. There was an earlier showing on Tuesday afternoon at Stonestown. This one was at Alamo Drafthouse and Tara was not working so we talked about going together, but then she got behind in some stuff and had to drop out, so for a few days I was searching for a new +1. It was astonishingly hard. Two of my usuals had to go to a funeral. Another just caught a cold. Another still hasn't answered and I'm a bit worried and will have to follow up. I gave up and went by myself. 

I got to the Mission early and hit up a farmer's market for dinner, plus got some freeze dried chicken hearts for Yuki. I was just killing time. I went in the theater thinking I was still early and admired the place - a beautifully restored vintage theater decorated with old Kung Fu posters in Spanish. Then I checked my email to discover that the screener had been moved up an hour. So I missed it. Damn it. 

The theater was apologetic and gave me some raincheck passes for next week. I replied to the rep and she was also apologetic and offered two more potential screeners - mountain view on Saturday, or Castro on Sunday with a Q&A with the talent. Wait...what? The talent?

I'm sorting that later today.

My St. Paddy's day SF trip wasn't a complete bust. It was redeemed by the Yeti and H, who I imposed upon for a visit, a shot of Glenmorangie (I know, not Irish - Yetis are such philistines) and a cup of coffee which might keep me up all night. It was lovely. 

I was pretty bummed about the screener snafu. In the 15 or so years that I've been doing these, I've only had one similar situation where the theater had to be switched at the last minute due to a technical failure. I've been looking forward to this since I got the invite and planned my work schedule around having seen it yesterday night, but now, no. Gotta reorg. 

To be continued...

RE: Everything Everywhere All At Once - thatguy - 03-18-2022

But in a different universe....

--tg

RE: Everything Everywhere All At Once - Greg - 03-18-2022

Talent! Maybe MY? Or JLC? Fingers crossed.

This is probably the movie I will see in the theaters next. Or maybe that Sandra Bullock Romancing the Stone rip-off.

RE: Everything Everywhere All At Once - Drunk Monk - 03-18-2022

(03-18-2022, 07:16 AM)thatguy Wrote: But in a different universe....

too soon, bro...too soon.

(03-18-2022, 08:42 AM)Greg Wrote: Talent! Maybe MY? Or JLC? Fingers crossed.

From my promo rep:

Quote:Thank you Gene. 
Yes we can put you down for 3 people. 
We will have the Directors, Producers and the three lead actors Ke Huy Quan, Stephanie Hsu and Michelle Yeoh in attendance to participate in a post screening Q&A discussion.

[Image: now-were-getting-somewhere-michelle-yeoh.gif]
[Image: you-cant-hide-your-feelings-from-me-michelle-yeoh.gif]
[Image: fight-me-michelle-yeoh.gif]
[Image: i-will-never-find-another-like-you-phili...orgiou.gif]
[Image: even-the-darkest-night-will-end-and-the-...orgiou.gif]
[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Everything Everywhere All At Once - Greg - 03-18-2022

I completely forgot about Ke Huy Quan. I'm sure he wants questions about Harrison Ford.

Short Round!

Dumbest name ever. But a cool character. 

I was going to ask about Kate Capshaw.

RE: Everything Everywhere All At Once - Dr. Ivor Yeti - 03-19-2022

Michelle Yeeeeeow!

RE: Everything Everywhere All At Once - Drunk Monk - 03-21-2022

wow

Wow

WOW!!!

Yeoh FTW!

This is the best film I’ve seen in years. I can’t remember when laughed so much, been moved so much, and been so thrilled with the fight choreography in a film. Absolutely loved it. Michelle killed it. Jamie Lee killed it. James Hong killed it. Ke even killed it. 

We had a tough time parking and wound up at the hospital and had to dash to the theater. Huge line but I found the reps quickly and they set us up. The bummer was press was at the back of the house but we could take in the glory of the Castro. I haven’t been in there in maybe a quarter century - still beautiful and now owned by Another Planet. 

The place was packed. Tara made a mad dash to the bathroom at the last minute because she drank too much tea at dinner and was glad she did because the talent came through and Michelle passed right by her. ‘Gorgeous’ reports Tara ‘could pass for 30’ (she’s 59).

Michelle was wearing a black short skirt and hip high boots and got several standing ovations. The talent was introduced prior to the film and then did about a half hour q&a with a critic interviewer. Some of the questions were silly but the cast was on point with their answers so it was delightful.

But this movie - oh man - it goes to so many surreal and unexpected places. It has great messages and philosophical inquiries, and yet is outrageously funny and absurd. It’s almost too much to take in. 

I don’t want to pump up your expectations too much but if there was ever a film I D00M recommended, it’s this. It’s a rollicking rollercoaster and owns the multiverse like never before.

RE: Everything Everywhere All At Once - Greg - 03-21-2022

It is on the schedule for this weekend, when the plebes are allowed to see it.

RE: Everything Everywhere All At Once - cranefly - 03-21-2022

Congrats to Michelle Yeoh.  What a journey she's been on. And to think she retired many years ago.  Maybe more than once.  Such milestones since then.

RE: Everything Everywhere All At Once - Drunk Monk - 03-21-2022

D00M predictions - all will love this because it's great, funny, with plenty of outrageous action...except for Greg. I can't predict Greg on this one. His film student sensibilities might reject the premise and if you opt out early, it might just be a mess, but my guess is he'll love it too because it's so fresh. It's maverick filmmaking.

The writer/directors are the two Daniels who previously did Swiss Army Man http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/showthread.php?tid=3941

Only Greg saw that so far and his review was ambiguous. I must see this film now. 

Only Michelle Yeoh could've played Evelyn in EEAAO. It's a true tour de force for her.