The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Forums
Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum)
+-- Forum: Doom Arts (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Doom Movies (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+---- Forum: MCU Movies (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+---- Thread: Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (/showthread.php?tid=6278)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Greg - 04-30-2021

This is interesting.

Next Shark Write Wrote:Ryan General
Fri, April 30, 2021, 2:21 PM

[b]Actor Simi Liu delivered a message to his Chinese fans on Twitter and addressed some critics’ concerns about the upcoming film “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.”[/b]

Marvel Studios’ surprise release of the trailer for the new martial arts superhero has a lot of fans excited for its likable cast and action-packed scenes, based on reactions to the uploaded YouTube video.

In the U.S., the film has been lauded for its representation of Asians, something a lot of fans have been clamoring to have in the Marvel Cinematic Universe for years now. The cast included Liu as the lead, Awkwafina, Ronny Chieng, Michelle Yeoh and more.

However, the response for the film has reportedly been quite different in China, where some fans have been complaining that it features Asian actors who were born and/or raised in western countries, reports We Got This Covered.

The first trailer itself on the MarvelTW and Marvel Studios Hong Kong YouTube accounts generated thousands of dislikes, as pointed out by Reddit user u/alanjinqq.

Out of approximately 7,100 people who weighed in on Marvel's Taiwan channel, roughly 4,200 of them disliked the trailer, which translates to about a 41% approval rating.

[Image: 8f2459d17aa239e9196d12a81aa93ad8]

Meanwhile, 1,200 of the 2,300 people on 
Marvel's Hong Kong channel hit the dislike button, registering about a 48% approval rating.

[Image: c66159db41c149ac7fb86893fa903f58]

In a recent Twitter post, the Chinese-Canadian star sent out a message to Chinese fans as well as the film's critics. 

[/url]
[url=https://nextshark.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/mhk.jpg]

Liu delivered the message in Mandarin, which according to 
GameRant translates to:[b] "I want to thank all of our Chinese fans for their support and encouragement. To the other people who are rooting for our failure, I don’t have much to say, just wait and see." [/b]

RE: Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Drunk Monk - 04-30-2021

Yeah, been following that. NextShark is connected to Immortal Studios (or the other way around perhaps) so I track them. Most of the news has been about horrific violence against the AAPI community so it's been a tough read lately. 

As for PRC & HK trolls, they slam everything. It's what they do. Clearly the MCU wants to make headway in PRC as they are the biggest film market now (they left the US in the covid dust, so to speak) and this has potential to do well there, but it's that crossover magic. 

PRC loved Iron Man 3 - they even got a different version with something like a half hour of alternate footage (been trying to find that for years now). But resolving the pacific divide is a challenge for sure. If I knew the answer, I'd be living large. Like hella large. Cristal, maybach, diamonds on your time piece, jet planes, islands, tigers on a gold leash large. 

Simu is right - wait and see.

RE: Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Greg - 07-31-2021

Lots of Shang Chi and Ten Rings stuff coming out. Do I post here? Do I put it in movie trailers?

I do need to stop watching the trailers. I'm learning too much.

RE: Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Drunk Monk - 07-31-2021

(07-31-2021, 11:06 AM)Greg Wrote: Lots of Shang Chi and Ten Rings stuff coming out. Do I post here? Do I put it in movie trailers?

Once a film has its own indie thread, all successive posts are placed in that thread accordingly. That’s what it would say if there was a DOOM forum rulebook. But there isn’t. You lot would follow rules anyway.

RE: Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Greg - 07-31-2021

Would or wouldn't? I suggest the latter.

RE: Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Drunk Monk - 07-31-2021

Wouldn’t

Spelchuck on migh fone h8s mi.

RE: Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Drunk Monk - 08-11-2021

I've been invited to a screener next week.

Annoyingly I was invited to a screener of The Protege on the same night. As much as I luv Maggie Q, this won out. 

More annoyingly, I was invited to a screener of Reminiscence on the following night. That stars my good friend Daniel Wu. Coincidentally, Daniel has a crazy story about Maggie but I can't share that here. 

Equally annoying, I was planning to work Cypress Hill at the Greek the following night. 

Next week will be busy. This one is the priority because it's for Den, who is positioning me for some interviews.

RE: Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Greg - 08-11-2021

Enjoy your problems. If Reminiscence is that Hugh Jackman movie, it looks terrible.

RE: Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Greg - 08-12-2021

I'm now on the Shang-Chi moratorium until I see the film.

RE: Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Drunk Monk - 08-12-2021

(08-11-2021, 08:40 PM)Greg Wrote: If Reminiscence is that Hugh Jackman movie, it looks terrible.

And what do you forecast for The Protege?

(08-12-2021, 06:56 AM)Greg Wrote: I'm now on the Shang-Chi moratorium until I see the film.

Come next week, Imma gonna be droppin spoilers here like hip hop mikes, just for you my friend. And since this is an advanced screener, I'll have like two weeks to do it.

RE: Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Greg - 08-12-2021

I've never liked you.

I'm intrigued by The Protege, but I'll wait to see it at home.

RE: Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Drunk Monk - 08-12-2021

(08-12-2021, 09:57 AM)Greg Wrote: I've never liked you.
[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia1.giphy.com%2Fmedi...f=1&nofb=1]

RE: Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Drunk Monk - 08-17-2021

(08-12-2021, 06:56 AM)Greg Wrote: I'm now on the Shang-Chi moratorium until I see the film.

Don’t worry. There’s so much that hasn’t been revealed in the trailers yet. 

MCU nails the Kung Fu film. Luved it. Is Ta Luo the new Wakanda? This redeems Marvel’s Iron Fist. 

I feel so blessed to have had three major martial arts films: Mortal Kombat, Snake Eyes and now this. I can’t but wonder what impact these would’vei had on the martial arts industry if not for Covid. This was my fav of the three. 

Brad Allen outdid himself. There’s a nice tribute in the credits. RESPECT!

My only complaint is that the venerated Yuen Wah is underused. 

I won’t spoil a thing beyond that. Unless you piss me off.

RE: Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Drunk Monk - 08-18-2021

Don’t look at red carpet premiere photos. There’s some spoilers in those about who appears in this.

RE: Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Greg - 08-18-2021

Like I would piss you off......