The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Forums
Award Show Thread - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum)
+-- Forum: Doom Arts (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Doom Media (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Award Show Thread (/showthread.php?tid=6165)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Award Show Thread - Greg - 03-01-2021

Golden Globes 2021

First off, I was surprised by how many of the shows I actually saw. I think my big miss has been Nomadland. But I saw a bunch of the others.

The whole show was kind of awkward, like the worst Zoom meeting every. There was also the revelation that the Hollywood Foreign Press Association doesn't have any black members hanging over the whole event. But the leaders of the HFPA did come out and announce they were going to change that. There were some terrible skits. There was the awful bit with Maya Rudolph and Keenan Thompson about bad speeches. The bit was bad too. There weren't a whole lot of memorable funny bits.

But Gillian Anderson has to win for best skull themed dress. You can't see it in this image but in the green field across her chest is a giant skull.

[Image: 39887148-0-image-a-93_1614573757374.jpg]

RE: Award Show Thread - Drunk Monk - 03-02-2021

I was oddly tuned out of the GGs this year. I hardly saw any of the films so I wasn't invested. 

That's a cool dress tho. 

[Image: image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io...6-2000.jpg]

RE: Award Show Thread - Drunk Monk - 03-15-2021

We thought about tuning into the Grammys but couldn't find a decent stream before bailing on the search. We saw a few seconds of BTS's performance and were done.

As for the Academy Awards, like with the Golden Globes, I've seen so few of the nominees, so I'm not really that invested.

RE: Award Show Thread - Greg - 03-15-2021

Oddly, I've seen a bunch of this year's nominees like Jesus and The Black Messiah, Mank, and Trial of the Chicago 7. I've also seen Soul and Onward in the Animation category. I would like to see Nomadland because I feel it will do well, but fear it will be stark and depressing.

I have the Grammy's taped. I will do the fast forward viewing today when tQ is off doing other things. Her and award shows do not mix.

RE: Award Show Thread - Drunk Monk - 03-15-2021

(03-15-2021, 09:48 AM)Greg Wrote: Her and award shows do not mix.

That is so ironic. I remember her story about the GOOP queen Gwyneth. 

I need to see Minari and Promising Young Woman

I have this weird issue with PYW. Last year, I had this series of movie reviews planned out, all surrounding female-strong films. I got a few off - Charlie's Angels, Warrior Queen of Jhansi, Birds of Prey, The Rhythm Section - but then everything shut down. PYW was to be the finale of that series. It had the most potential to be significant. Guess I called that right, but it's a bitter win, because I never got to publish anything on it and see my female-strong series through.

RE: Award Show Thread - Greg - 03-16-2021

I watched about two hours of the show yesterday. I think Trevor Noah does a good job as host. It was mostly about music performances. I think we were about thirty minutes in before they handed out an award. In most cases (probably all) I didn't know any of the songs up for the award and had only a passing recognition of the artist. I saw a lot of really bad tattoos. And a lot of tattoos in general. There was a lot of cleavage on display as well, which I am not against.

I did see the live performance of WAP which must have gotten the conservatives up in arms.

They did a lot of the performances consecutively with the performers in the same spot. And after a performer was done they would watch the next performance and the cameras could cut to them to see if they were enjoying the show. Harry Styles went into Billie Eilish into Haim. So, you had shot of Harry Styles watching Billie balanced precariously on the roof of tilted Dodge Charger.

It was fun to see the artist singing along to other people's hits. During the country portion a new African-American singer I'm not familiar with, Mickey Guyton, sang along to Miranda Lambert's Blue Bird song. Mickey Guyton's song 'Black Like Me' was remarkable for it's calling out country music and probably the US for it's racism.

Still more Grammy's to go. I'd like to hear some Rock music, but I don't know who provide that. All Haim came kind of close.

Academy Awards 2021 - Greg - 04-26-2021

What a terrible show. I know I should stop but I can't. The majority of the show was done at Union Station in downtown LA I guess to give them some room to spread out, but the whole set looked kind of cheap. And the set was confusing for the people coming up to accept their award. Most of them stepped over the side wall of the circular ramp get up onto the stage rather than use the step or the ramp itself. The stepping over the sidewall made people's entrance look really clumsy, especially for some of the older actors and actresses.

They cut out all the production numbers and did away with the majority of the clips. Instead, they had the presenters talk about each nominees with some personal anecdote. A lot of those anecdotes were cringe worthy. Then they didn't set a time limit on the speeches so the oscar winners got to talk as long as they wanted. And they did. I can already guess what Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity and the rest of the Fox Clowns are going to say about those woke pronouncements.

From Tyler Perry's speech after winning his Jean Hersholt award, I can see how he made himself a billion dollars. It was good to see Harrison Ford get some Blade Runner resentment off his chest. I love the Korean woman who won for Minari. She just wanted to talk about Brad Pitt and seemed kind of out it and she was ready to talk to the audience for the rest of the night. Amanda Seyfried had the best gown and by best I mean it hid nothing.

They also did a weird thing sequence wise. For whatever reason, they didn't end the show with Best Picture like the Oscars have done since I knew there was an Oscars. They were announcing Best Picture (Nomadland) when The Queen mentioned she couldn't remember who won for Best Actor. I couldn't either. She looked it up. Since I had recorded the show to fast forward through the commercials, we were behind the actual telecast. Turns out, they hadn't announced Best Actor or Actress yet. They had changed the order so those two announcements would be the last of the night. Very odd. Anti-climactic.

Despite the long speeches and long award introductions, the show only last 3 hours 18 which is probably a record. It was bad but at least there wasn't a lot of it.

Will I watch it again next year? Of course. I still feel hope when I see these filmmakers win and they talk about what they went through to be there.

Maybe some day....

RE: Award Show Thread - Drunk Monk - 04-26-2021

Saddened to hear it was bad. We didn't watch. I will say that looking at the results, this year put #oscarssowhite to bed, or at least for a nap. Nice to see some diversity in the winners finally. There's still grumbling that Hopkins beat out Bosewick, but at least some history was made.

RE: Award Show Thread - Greg - 04-26-2021

I think the grumbling comes from the fact the producers of the show screwed with the format in the hopes that Boseman would win and they could leave with the high of the Best Actor award as the last of the night. Instead, they got a picture of Hopkins who was asleep in bed in Wales and then the credit roll.

Best Picture is always last!

RE: Award Show Thread - Drunk Monk - 04-26-2021

Having not seen it, I couldn't say, but given what Boseman represented, and what Hopkins represents, I suspect there's more to it than the flow of the show. 

Wakanda forever.

RE: Award Show Thread - King Bob - 04-28-2021

The main foolishness was cutting the clips (particularly for animated shorts) and replacing them with irrelevant back stories. Some woke talk to annoy Fox viewers, as usual. Host-less works fine and if they limit the speeches they could trim it down to a better length. Overall it was just sort of boring. BAFTAs are always more entertaining, but I missed them this year.

Oscars 2022 - Greg - 03-28-2022

Oscars 2022

Well, that was quite the show. I forgot to set the show to record so I missed the first hour. I was catching updates for the awards being handed out before hand which I thought was total BS. And the show still ran long. Embrace the tedium.

But this was not a tedious show. Especially when you have a presenter insulting/joking with one of the guests and the guest's husband punches the presenter. Yes, I saw Will Smith punch Chris Rock on TV after Rock made fun of Jada Pinkett Smith being bald. Words were exchanged but they were all silenced. There was a lot of jumping around as they Producers couldn't decide what to do. Do they go to commercial? Do they let it play out? Eventually Rock regrouped and handed out the award for documentary. It was wild. The crowd was in shock. Amy Shumer, who is never funny, came out and said "I just got finished getting out of my Spiderman Costume. Did I miss anything?" It was very funny in the moment.

It's all very awkward. But it goes to 11 when Smith wins the best Actor Oscar and has to go on stage and make a speech. I'm guessing that was the longest Oscar speech in history. They didn't play him off. They did cut to a logo but came back to him. He bawled until the snot ran out his nose. He gave a lot of justifications for the punch by saying he was protecting his family and tied it into his role as Richard Williams who was only protecting his family. It was a lot of Bullshit. But made for compelling live TV. He apologized to the academy but never to Rock.

More thoughts to come but that punch was burning my brain. Time to go see the fire that is the morning after internet.

RE: Award Show Thread - King Bob - 03-28-2022

I assumed the punch and all that was fake. Either that or Will Smith can't throw a good punch. He's such an asshole. His speech was total BS as Greg said. He totally praised himself for "protecting" the girl stars of the movie. And he mentioned God several times. I guess he realized that the Scientology doesn't play well any more, so he'll try a cover story.

Wanda Sykes is not funny. The hostesses were bad. All the lesser award winners were coming up on stage as they were announced, which was odd. The memorial segment was poorly filmed - they kept showing the choir instead of just showing us the screen, so it was harder to see. It might have been shorter if they didn't have so many tributes to old movies. And Liza Minelli is in bad shape.

Most of those movies and stars will be remembered later as not as good as ones that didn't win. That's how it always is.

RE: Award Show Thread - Drunk Monk - 03-28-2022

Didn’t watch. Kinda bummed I missed it. Saw a replay of the slap. Read a few reviews.

The memes are good tho.

RE: Award Show Thread - Greg - 03-28-2022

In the portions, I saw, I didn't see much of the hostesses. But their bits were lame. I did not care for the museum tour of the new Hollywood History Tour but I would like to go.

I guess I should see Coda now. I just have to resubscribe to Apple+. Netflix must be angry that Power of the Dog didn't do better. I was surprised that Campion won the best director. Jackson, Travolta, and Thurman's bit went on too long. They could have done more with the Godfather tribute. Pacino and Coppola looked really old while Deniro looked great. Odd to see how friendly Deniro was with P. Diddy, who presented the segment. P. Diddy was not a good presenter. Couldn't stay on his mark or keep up with the teleprompter. The big musical production number for Bruno was mediocre. The addition of new lyrics celebrating the Oscars didn't help. Lots of women looked as if their breasts were millimeters from falling out of their dresses, particularly Diana Ross's daughter whose name I can never remember.

Costner's speech on directors and directing was good. I was watching him in Hidden Figures before I switched over to the Oscars. The In Memoriam segment was good and bad. Concur that we saw too much of the singers, but they did make it more of a celebration of people's lives than wallowing in their deaths. Nice pause to remember Ivan Reitman and Betty White by Bill Murray and Jamie Lee Curtis. Jessica Chastain had a nice speech on Mental Illness when she accepted for Tammy Faye.

I saw a lot more of the nominated films than I usually have in the last couple of years. There were lots of foreign films scattered in among the US film nominations. That is where I fell down in my viewing. I didn't see any of the foreign films.