The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Forums
The Avengers - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum)
+-- Forum: Doom Arts (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Doom Media (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: The Avengers (/showthread.php?tid=3145)

Pages: 1 2 3

The Avengers - Dr. Ivor Yeti - 08-10-2014

So this cable channel called "COZI" is showing all of the tv shows that we grew up with, plus older ones. I recently discovered how genuinely awful The Bionic Man (and Woman) are. Loved 'em whilst a youngster, painfully cheesy as an oldster.

I rediscovered "I Spy". Now that is a show that was way ahead of it's time, which is why it aged well.

Lastly, The Avengers. Emma Peel. Sigh....!

They started with the Cathy Gale (Honor Blackman) years, which I had never seen before. Talk about a modern heroine. That busted a few stereotypes. The show was lacking the humor (humour) that it became known for with Diana Rigg, and had the same production values as the early Dr. Who, but were engaging.

Now that we are onto the Rigg Shogunate, things are splendid. Working the DVR and binge-watching, having a nice blast from the past. Just saw one with Carole Cleveland from Monty Python in it.

I'll have to check that out - Drunk Monk - 08-12-2014

I've watched some old eps of the Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman on COZI. I used to luv those shows when I was a kid. Now, the Bionic Woman seems a lot better to me than it did back then. And the Six Million Dollar Man seems really silly.

But the Avengers, I'm sure I'd still enjoy those.

Re: The Avengers - thatguy - 08-12-2014

Speaking of Dame Diana, if you haven't watched Extras:

[youtube]iME60JZInfw[/youtube]

--tg

Cozi - Drunk Monk - 08-17-2014

Hey man, I went to tune in Cozi on Friday night hoping to catch some Man Appeal (aka M. appeal aka Emma Peal) but what was playing? Sense and Sensibility. S is a hardcore Austen fan. Do you know how many times/versions of S&S I've seen? And it's the same damn story as all of the other Austen books-made-into-movies like P&P and Emma (no, not that appealing one, that annoying one as in Gwyneth Paltrow).

So disappointed that I'm tempted to dump a bucket of ice water on my head.

NOT.

Re: Cozi - cranefly - 08-17-2014

Interestingly, on Friday night I rescanned with my tuner because I wasn't picking up Cozi. Suddenly there it was, and damn it all to hell, there was an S&S movie playing. Now, S&M I might've watched some of, but S&S? Nope.
Except that Lady Cranefly walked through the living room before I could switch away. She settled down and watched maybe 10 minutes until a commercial. I asked if she wanted to continue watching, and she was tempted, but decided there were more important things to do.

But tonight I see that 60 Minutes is a rerun, same as always; but I'll tell Lady Cranefly it's a new one and a good one. Then I'll switch to Cozi and surprise her. Because it's Diana Riggs time!

I think the episode coming up mid-week is her chastity belt one ("The Joker").

Re: The Avengers - Dr. Ivor Yeti - 08-18-2014

Her famous S&M ensemble was worn in "A Touch of Brimstone", which was the episode that had had young Carole Cleveland from Monty Python in it. Win/win.

Re: The Avengers - cranefly - 08-19-2014

Ahhh, yes. You're right, Yeti. "The Joker" turned out to be a "trapped in a strange house" of a different color. How many "trapped in a strange house" episodes did they do?

This one was nice enough, and brought back memories. Mom and I watched a lot of these by ourselves. We were the only ones in the family that "got it." But this episode troubled me some back then. I wasn't accustomed to seeing Emma Peale showing fear. She's always joking at death. But for the episode to work, she had to become rattled and fearful as the episode progressed. But not to the point of becoming panicky or screamish. The director did a good job, establishing just the right balance, walking a very fine ridgeline on a very strange house, so to speak...

I'll keep my eyes Pealed for "A Touch of Brimstone."

Re: The Avengers - Dr. Ivor Yeti - 08-20-2014

the huge quantity of sword fights in the series may have had a long-lasting effect on me...

Re: The Avengers - El Dingo - 08-22-2014

Was that the one where she opened a door and a lion leapt at her? I loved that one.

Re: The Avengers - cranefly - 08-22-2014

Quote:El Dingo wrote:
Was that the one where she opened a door and a lion leapt at her? I loved that one.
No, that was actually a short story by Frank Stockton called "The Lady or the Tiger."
It was a story that pissed a lot of people off, because of its ambiguous ending.
Am I bad? That was tiger! What was I thinking? Never mind. Getting back to the Avengers, no, "The Joker" didn't have a tiger jumping out when she opens a door.
That must be yet another "trapped in a strange house" episode.

dammit COZI - Drunk Monk - 08-25-2014

last time i had access (at my mom's) it was just reruns of magnum p.i.

i want my emma peal!!!

Re: The Avengers - Dr. Ivor Yeti - 08-27-2014

Set your DVR to COZI @ 1pm weekdays and 7pm on Sundays. Don't have a DVR? I think full episodes are on you tube. The Living Dead and The Correct Way To Kill we're just on. 2 personal faves.

Re: The Avengers - cranefly - 08-27-2014

I recently saw the "You Have Just Been Murdered" episode, which has a nice whimsical comic appeal. It also features a scythe vs. staff sparring set. Ms. Peale wields the (ever shorter) staff.
The fights are poorly done in the series, with moments of, Hey, that almost suspended my disbelief for a second. But it seems to fit the corniness of the series, and I'm not denigrating it.

I've been pondering an attempt to write an ezine article for DM about the Age of the Deadly Open Hand Chop. There was a period of many years when anyone on TV could just chop another person with an open hand and render them senseless. (When did this first appear? What were the influences? When and why did it fade out?) Not only is this seen in the Avengers, but also The Man from Uncle, Get Smart, and similar fare of that time period. Very trippy to revisit it.

no DVR - Drunk Monk - 08-27-2014

web search would be cheating...

Magnum PI again... - Drunk Monk - 08-29-2014

COSY ain't doing it for me, at least, not at the right times.