The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Forums
Furthur - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum)
+-- Forum: Doom Arts (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Doom Music (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Furthur (/showthread.php?tid=1750)

Pages: 1 2

Furthur - Drunk Monk - 09-19-2009

Furthur @ Fox 9/18/9

A wake. The summer of death strikes again - Greg Lenser, a close friend.

It's late. I'll tell you later...

fun show.. - Drunk Monk - 09-21-2009

...if it wasn't for having to do so much grief counseling. Greg was discovered on Thurs and he was well loved by the music community, especially the Dead, so the news was hard for many, but it had to be told. Accordingly, the band came together and gave Greg a fine send off. I'm sure that his spirit is pleased.

The new line-up mimics the Dead line-up: Phil & Bobby, with long time collaborators Jeff Chimenti on keys and Jay Lane on drums, plus the unknown Joe Russo on drums too. John Kadlecik of DSO filled Jerry's spot, and was quite good.

Bob and Phil jam > The Other One > The Wheel > Jack Straw, The Music Never Stopped> Bird Song> Born Cross-Eyed> Let It Grow

Lost Sailor > Saint of Circumstance, Althea, Scarlet begonias > Fire on the Mountain, Saint Stephen> The Eleven> jam > Terrapin> Not Fade Away / Touch of Gray

I saw the Althea, Scarlet Fire all the way through and it was awesome. Heard part of the Other Wheel and my old fav Terrapin. This latest line up was surprisingly enjoyable, and very therapeutic during the loss of a good friend.

Further @ BGC 12/30/09 - Drunk Monk - 12-31-2009

It wasn't raining as predicted, so no wet deadheads, or so we thought. We got in the house around 6 and there was nothing there at RM. The truck broke down, so supply had been hustling all day to repack all the gear in private vehicles, arriving just as the doors opened. It was a mad scramble to get everything in, then the DM's immediately ducked out into the show for the opening. It was a spacy jam that sounded like it was headed to Shakedown st, but then burst into a joyful Here Comes Sunshine > Bertha, at which point DM felt guilty about not having a radio. After mrs. dm snapped a iphone pic of dm at the show (for his ring tone pic) dm promised mrs dm to get her some higher grade earplugs he had in his pack, leaving her to play with her new xmas iphone by making a songlist. so he ducked back towards Rm, only to be ambushed by hippies (see facebook). after bertha, dm, shaken and stirred, stumbled back to rm and radioed up to be instantly called outside to the park for a man down and dealt with that. dm & crew went back in, hung out and then just dismissed the crew for mischief when there was another IPR. Worked with her until set 2 had begun. caught eyes, Scarlet>Fire, but was then called in for another ipr. We backboarded him. Dm tied down the left wrist and looked up. everyone was puzzling over the knot-tangles they had made of their restraints. so dm wound up fixing all four of the four points plus spider straps. two restraints were bundled into the right wrist knot, which explained why there were only three (dm carries an extra set of velcros). the spiders were a total mess, but he wasn't combative so we managed the transport. Once back in our space tent, we released him to his friends. One of dm's long time dead tour friends, rick from bgp got bit by a parrot. Is that grateful dead or what? Then, as dm was repacking the restraints, he heard Standing on the Moon, the wedding dance of the dm's, so he dashed out to mrs. dm but didn't find her until right after the song ended, which was a major bummer. nevertheless, dm caught the end of the show, a nice China>Rider, with a Terrapin encore. There was some clean up with one last ipr restraint - three total that night. We got home by 12:30. Overall, a good show - I wish I saw more of it. Kadlecik can be a bit like a Elvis impersonator for Jerry, but it's serviceable. I just wish he would switch his grey T for a black one.

On the way to work, I was listening to Days Between, and remembering the might of the dead, of Jerry and the Rhythm Devils, and getting all misty. Now I'm chomping at the bit to head back to S.F. for NYE.

NYE @ BGC - Drunk Monk - 01-05-2010

Truth be told, it was kind of a blur.

Here's the set list which I stole off Setlist.com. I bolded the songs I actually got down in my notes.

Quote:Set 1: Shakedown Street, Jack Straw, Mama Tried, Candyman, Loose Lucy, Viola Lee Blues > Truckin'

Set 2: Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower, Cassidy, The Wheel > Jam > Dark Star > Time* > Uncle John's Band, After Midnight

Set 3: Golden Road (to Unlimited Devotion)** > Let it Grow > Cryptical Envelopment > Born Cross Eyed > Other One > Cryptical Envelopment > So Many Roads, St. Stephen > The Eleven > Not Fade Away, E: Sugar Magnolia

Comment: *Pink Floyd cover, first time live (it was soundchecked on the 28th) **Bill Walton on drums with Jay

Lineup: Phil Lesh - bass; Bob Weir - guitar & vocals; Jeff Chimenti - keyboards; John Kadlecik -guitar & vocals; Jay Lane - drums; Joe Russo - drums; Zoe Ellis - vocals; Sunshine Becker - vocals

It was a great show. I worked my ass off chasing IPRs all night. Furthur goes off on tour until March. If they play a run upon their return, I might invest tickets.

Phil's 70th Birthday Bash @ BGC 3/12/2010 - Drunk Monk - 03-16-2010

This set list is poached off Phil's site. Further is now: Phil Lesh, Bob Weir, John Kadlecik, Jeff Chimenti, Jay Lane PLUS Sunshine Becker, Zoe Ellis. Again I bolded what I got in my notes. My notes were really messy and out of order.
Quote:Unbroken Chain Foundation Benefit For Haitian Earthquake Relief

Acoustic Set withJackie Greene, Steve Molitz & Chris Robinson:
Ripple, Lazy River Road, Fennario, Two Souls in Communion, Brokedown Palace, A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall, They Love Each Other, Mountains of the Moon, Attics of My Life

Set 2 with Jackie Greene & Chris Robinson: Scarlet Begonias, Minglewood Blues, Easy Wind> New Speedway Boogie, Viola Lee Blues> High Time>Caution Jam> Viola Lee Blues> Hard To Handle, Viola Lee Blues> Like A Rolling Stone> Sugaree

Set 3 with Jackie Greene, Steve Molitz & John Molo: Not Fade Away Jam * Float Parade, Happy Birthday Phil! * Balloon Drop, Not Fade Away Jam> Playing in the Band> Jam> St. Stephen> The Other One> Elevator> Unbroken Chain, Comes a Time> Cream Puff War * with dancers> Franklin's Tower
E: Johnny B. Goode

It was a great show. I didn't get out of there until 3 AM. I didn't have to work with any pukers, but there's no way TQ could have kept up with me that night. I was deep in that good ol' grateful dead space - the Phil zone - and I'm still sore.

Around the end of 1st set (which was a very sweet soulful acoustic set) we had a large male IPR I helped bring in from the 2nd floor. The IPR escalated upon getting into medical. The takedown was clean on to a mat. Once on the ground it became a 6-man restraint (that's a lot, usually it's just 2- or 3-man). He was very strong and had a jacket of this slippery synthetic material, making him very difficult to hold. We all thought we should get similar jackets and they'd never catch us. I started on the arm and strained my neck which has reminded me to start doing neck bridges again. We did two, maybe three rotations. The patient came down and was returned to the crowd safely. I was busy so I didn't see him after but one of my kung fu brothers commented after he saw the patient without the slippery jacket, "homey was yoked." Note that my kung fu bro is a big dude - I'm the only middleweight on the crew, everyone else is heavy, superheavy. Moral of that story: 'roids & acid don't mix.

There were some miscellaneous IPRS in between. I had a nice talk with a guy who was my age and expecting his first kid. He was actually quite lucid, but the fear as HST used to say, had taken him, no doubt anxiety from the upcoming life change. As it turned out, he was very knowledgeable about symbols, an architect who had even built a church (confirmed by his more sober wife later) so it was a deep talkdown.

The other IPR that was significant was a large male who jumped the rail nekkid. Nekkid restraints are always a little trickier because you don't want to grab the wrong purchase nor end up face first in the wrong place. The takedown was clean (although I was on the legs and had to turn or end up face first in that very wrong place.) That was a 3-man restraint and the patient came down. He was a surfer and so I could whip out the ol' 'surf the waves' talkdown schtick and it worked like a charm, like always. We found his pants, complete with his cell phone, but his cell was soaked in pee. That's probably why he took off his pants. He gave them a sniff, shrugged, and said 'that's what their for.' I didn't even want to engage that. Fortunately, he had cash and could catch a cab to where he wanted to go (deep in the bad part of the Mission, but he had it together by that point). Moral of that story: always remember where you leave your pants.

One of the head nurses bought the CD (they rip soundboards right after the show now) and said she'd rip me a copy if I gave her some blanks. I'm really looking forward to hearing that 1st set uninterrupted.

Further has scheduled a campout at the old Mountain Air site for Memorial Day weekend. That'll be the first 'dead' camp out in years. I better keep working my neck bridges.

Furthur @ Frogtown 5/28/10 - Drunk Monk - 06-01-2010

Frogtown, where LB earned his name in '87. Frogtown, where dm had his 1st encoutner with RM as a patient. This marked the return of Dm, LB, Bob Weir & Phil Lesh to these hallowed grounds.

Pulled in with T's friend's dad late Thurs. It was pouring rain and painfully cold. Pitched tent in the dark and crashed, or tried to - slept like hell - felt horrible: cold, crampy, just out of sorts. The next day (Friday) was partly cloudy and kept seeming like it was warm, but there was this nasty wind chill. Dm was suffering some wicked cottonmouth, a point to remmeber as this tale continues....

Marley was played on the soundcheck giving dm some hope that the dead still had their weather control skills. They did. The rest of the weekend was gorgeous. There was word of a mason jar full of liquid acid from a reliable source. Little did we suspect...

Night #1 was an 'open air soundcheck'. The fam arrived safely, just after it played. Space > Eleven > Eyes of the World > Dark Star > Bird Song > Loose Lucy, Dear Mr. Fantasy, Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain, Let It Grow, Unbroken Chain, Standing on the Moon, Playing in the Band > Dark Star, E: Going Down the Road Feeling Bad.

RM had the borderline asshole from hell. There was a patient that vomited copious amounts of blood reacting to special K (same thing happened last time, so you'd think you'd not do anymore K). There was an assortment of other mild IPRs.

That night, in the dancehall, Phil and Bobby played with some small bands but not together. Missed Phil entirely. Caught Bobby doing a nice sugaree, and then death don't have no mercy, but dm was tired as that was around 2 AM or so and he was just feeling off...

2 b continued...

5/29/10 Daytime - Drunk Monk - 06-02-2010

Here's a very slanted report of last weekend: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/1038910/Over-40-Arrests-At-Furthur-Festival.html">http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/ ... tival.html</a><!-- m --> - It was a real 'bad cop, no donut' scene with the Sheriffs. They were literally ripping patients from us. We had to change our IPR code to "upset patients" as they were monitoring our channels and scooping our calls to arrest people.

So dm got some sleep on Friday and felt pretty good about the morning, except that his feet were feeling unusually sore and tired, another point to stow because it'll play out later. The day started with a report of a rattlesnake in family camp. It should be mentioned that there was no effort made to park the campers and deadheads need directions that way or it's just all chaos. There were no roads, not even fire lanes, in the camping areas and everything was so spread out that it was impossible to navigate. Also what could have been positioned into one lot got spread across three, which meant that even tho the show wasn't sold out, the campers had to break a fence into some private property where a herd (a gallup?) of rescued horses lived. That was a mess that never got cleaned up until it was over. Anyway, a call went out early that RM's Beginets were ready, to which everyone said "wtf?" except for the psych crew, who quickly appropriated a vehicle, secured the donation of fresh beginets for the crew, then returned to RM covered in powdered sugar like mis-snorted ketamine claiming that it was a bum call. Yea, psych was in the groove.

Dm got to spend the afternoon watching Jackie Greene's entire acoustic set with his love, his wife, and that was a real treat. Here's the list, which couldn't be cobbled from the web so Dm did make up some titles: Bertha, Sing Me BAck Home, Mockingbird, Cry your eyes dry, FotD, Noreen, Brokedown Palace, Don't let the devil take your mind, drifting far from shore.

Later, dm scratched his sunglasses, which was a major bumout. Sold some books, which were really cumbersome to sling at a show. Could have sold more but bailed for upcoming reasons. There was a bloody miscarriage and some other assorted odd medical situations, along with some assorted IPRs.

Furthur was doing albums so the set list was super easy: American Beauty, Workingman's, Anthem. There were more IPRs, including that horrid mom with her kid on the dog leash that went to CPS mentioned above. Activating CPS is always a major downer as it involves a serious medical decision that will impact the lives of the patients for years, but this situation was just abhorrent. There was a spider in an ear too, separate case, easy to solve (just drown it) but always worthy of the heebiejeebies.

Okay, dm's notes collapse at this point. Tomorrow, we'll share why.

Re: Furthur - cranefly - 06-02-2010

Excellent news article at mymotherlode -- for the most part comprehensive, though they did forget to mention that big oil spill down in the Gulf that the Dead fans caused.

5/29/10 Nighttime - Drunk Monk - 06-03-2010

This is where things get really blurry and out of sequence. The Furthur set finished at 1AM and Galactic took over in the dancehall but dm never made it out that far. At the end of Furthur, there was a nekkid dude doing the jiggledickhop at front of stage. When he saw RM coming, he said 'awww, i guess i gotta put my pants on now.' 'yeah.' 'i was just saying how great it was to be at a dead show where you could be nekkid.' 'well, you've been nekkid, time to put your pants on.' His friends were nearby, laughing their asses off. If only they were all that easy. It rained IPRs. Dm totally lost track of how many - 45 intakes and 5 rolls was the official count. There was a hilarious pairing of a 'i love my mom' next to 'i'll fuk yer mom, motherfuker!' There was a dude that tried to tear off his dick chanted in binary '1, 0, dick, kill.' dm helped bring him back from the badlands of the camping zone on the back of a flatbed cart. the patient was kept restrained as the rm crew tried to keep them from falling off the flatbed as the vehicle navigated the mess of camping where there were no straight lines. a firelane was even blocked forcing an absurd turnaround and backtrack, not fun with a screaming combative IPR. Then there was the cutter. Dm was with two of his crew getting an IPR back to his camp who was upset because he was upsetting everyone else. There was a call that an IPR slashed his own throat. DM & crew arrived on scene last, as the IPR was being restrained on the gurney. The IPR cut his throat and tried to dig out his trachea with his hands. He kept trying to break free and re-open his wounds. There was blood and broken glass everywhere. Dm found a girl, his g/f, with matted hair covered in blood, looking like she walked off a scene from Carrie. "what happened?" queried Dm. "oh nothing," she replied. Dirty Hoel (dm's pardner in crime) put it well describing the scene as 'ruthless'. Meanwhile, as all these IPRs kept the psych krew hopping, dm's hands started to feel swollen and stingy. Dm wondered if he had fallen in some nettles, but slowly realized the same affliction was bothering his mouth and feet. He didn't remember eating any nettles and had kept his feet covered and clean all weekend, as it was chilly. After an exam by the RM PA & RNs, dm was diagnosed with cocksasacky (intentional sp) virus, or hand, foot and mouth disease, not to be confused with hoof and mouth disease. It's a virus, common in elementary schools, that takes 3-5 days to gestate (meaning dm caught it prior to Furthur) and it manifests in these painful stinging lesions that cover the feet, hands and mouth. Good thing dm didn't drop that night-vision mushroom cap. Cocksasacky was a bad trip. That would have made it hella worse. Dm went down about 3AM or so, with intense stinging pain in the 3 afflicted areas. It was very surreal.

Furthur 5/30 - Drunk Monk - 06-04-2010

So after the diagnosis, dm bailed on sunday. He slept, rested, mostly stumbled about in pain. Couldn't open pill bottles. Couldn't walk very well. Couldn't eat, which really exacerbated his declining state of health. Strangely, dm could function more or less, as he spent years stumbling about in the dead scene horribly hungover, so the pain was superfluous. Despite dm's malady, RMers kept reporting psych cases to him, at which point, dm was pretty grouchy, not at all in the mood to be compassionate towards patients.

Mrs. dm and T were having a grand time, which in retrospect was dm's only real wish from this event, beyond perhaps some much needed inspiration. T and her friend got into hula hooping, so dm arranged a special hooping lesson with one of his psych crew, an elementary school teacher by day and a hoop master from burning man at night. that was delightful, one of those wonderful moments when a plan comes together. The dm clan pulled out just as Furthur was taking the stage. They began with Help on the way, headed for that Help>slipnot>Franklins that opens Blues for Allah. T was swinging her hoop to the music and mrs. dm hurried up the fam as she was driving and she hates driving that mountain road after dark. dm was in his own bed before midnite and slept almost all of memorial day, to get back to work on tues.

next furthur stop, outside lands....

NYE-1 & NYE - Drunk Monk - 12-30-2010

Two show run starts tonight. We've also got Sea of Dreams down the street at the Concourse tomorrow night, so our psych crew will be split. Had three people contact me trying to be late adds for the show yesterday, all at the same time.

There's some very weird stuff happening with HAFC now. 2011 promises dramatic chance to HAFC and RM. More to come...

Re: Furthur - Greg_phpbb3_import1 - 12-30-2010

And HAFC is . . . ? Or should we make up our acronym?

Haight Ashbury Free Clinic - Drunk Monk - 12-30-2010

RM is an outreach program of HAFC.

12/30/10 @ BGC - Drunk Monk - 01-04-2011

on to the dead flashback: here's the setlist from setlist.com - i've underlined the songs that actually made it into my notebook.

12/30/10 (Thu) Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - San Francisco, CA
Set 1: Shakedown Street > Estimated Prophet > Crazy Fingers, Welcome to the Dance, Cold Rain and Snow, Tennessee Jed, Seven Hills of Gold > Turn On Your Lovelight

Set 2: Any Road, Playing In the Band, China Cat Sunflower > Saint Stephen > Scarlet Begonias > Fire On the Mountain, Death Don't Have No Mercy > The Eleven, Going Down the Road Feelin' Bad, We Bid You Goodnight, E: Attics Of My Life

note that the band went into a "shake it down now" jam ala rick james in shakedown street, which came off oddly disco. the band sounded good the first night.

the night went well. there was only one minor restraint. there was some kid issues, a drunk woman with a son that was hard to connect with and had terrible potential for a nasty scene, but a friend showed up in time. another daughter w/a split lip crying for mommy with daddy. they couldn't separate and when we said we'd go look for mommy, the dad replied appropriately 'there's no way i can describe her so you'd be able to pick her out of the rest of the deadheads'. actually, a lot more happened, but nothing worth reporting or disclosing. all in all, a good night, lots of friends, deadheads, and mmany breaks. dm got home around 2 am.

NYE @ BGC - Drunk Monk - 01-04-2011

Again from Setlist.com, again with the underlined stuff that got to my notes
Set 1: Alligator, Big Bad Blues, Caution, Wharf Rat, Sittin' On Top of the World, High On A Mountain, Cumberland Blues

Set 2: Cassidy, Mountain Song > I Know You Rider> Other One > Let It Grow > Stella Blue > Viola Lee Blues > Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion)

Set 3: Sugar Magnolia, The Wheel, Uncle John's Band, Unbroken Chain, Lady With A Fan > Terrapin Station > At A Siding > Terrapin Transit > Terrapin Flyer > Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Truckin', E: One More Saturday Night
hmm, did much better than I thought with those. Stacy came along so I played hooky. There was plenty of psych to cover me. We grabbed dinner at Ananda Fuara, a fab veg place run by Sri Chinmoy's people, which was overwhelmeed w/deadheads. It was very amusing because any deadhead (me included) gets a ton of calls and texts when the band is in town and all these cells were going off with dead tune ring tones. after dinner w/some friends (who just showed up coincidentally) we secured center seats in the front of the balcony - choice seats really but a bit claustrophobic because it was a focal point of traffic, sound and action. we stayed there for set 1. Bobby was way too loud in the mix with those piercing dissonant chords of his. Frankly, he spoiled the show. We gave up the seats to a nice couple, friends of a friend, at set break. Set 2 was a whirl of action - lots of talkdown and running about on calls - nothing outstanding tho - usual rock med dead head bizness. I was all set for the midnite countdown and drop, but it went off 10 minutes early and i totally missed it as there was tripper in my way, literally right in front of me, and i had to help get him to rm. stacy took some pix on her iphone, which didn't look like anything. I was happy not to be on top of a tripper for midnite and I could enjoy my champagne properly. I also got on the first tripper restraint of the year, which is considered lucky in our psych circles. set 3 was quieter and i got out several times, only to retreat back to rm because the band just wasn't on. Stacy said it was the first time that she felt rock med was more interesting than what was going on on stage. Nevertheless, it was a grand adventure...staggering to think I've spent some 20 or so NYE with incarnations of this band...