The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Forums
My boss didn't give us a present! - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum)
+-- Forum: Doom Discussions (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Issues (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: My boss didn't give us a present! (/showthread.php?tid=162)

Pages: 1 2

My boss didn't give us a present! - El Dingo - 01-02-2006

This year the operations department had an anonymous gift exchange (the kind where you can steal other peoples presents) and the desktop support group gave each other presents as well.

I gave out some very cool stainless-steel LED flashlights.

From my co-workers I received a PC-cam, an engraved windproof lighter, a bunch of homemade tamales (I LOVE TAMALES) and a couple other things.

Our boss (who received gifts from all of us) gave us nothing.

He is the nicest, funniest guy in the world. A gentle yet fierce liberal of the homosexual persuasion that gave us all Amazon gift certs last year.

Maybe he's giving us all weekends at his Tahoe condo later.

We'll see...

Company Xmas gifts - The Queen - 01-03-2006

I got a 4 x 6 glass frame, with the company logo on the bottom. Woo-hoo.

my boss gave me a coke spoon... - Drunk Monk - 01-03-2006

...and some premium chinese tea. Seriously. See http://brotherhoodofdoom.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=152.

Let's see... - Haggis Killer - 01-03-2006

I got a bottle of cab, a cd of christmassy music & outtakes from movies, more candy than I could eat (in one sitting) and a couple of nice meals. Nothing too much, but nice all around. Nothing nearly as controversail as, say, a coke spoon. How 70's is that?

coke adds life - Drunk Monk - 01-03-2006

It was pretty funny. It was this tiny tool, a knurled brass shaft containing 4 steel attachments, a flathead, a phillips, an awl, and a spoon. It was tied neatly to the ribbon. I didn't notice it until my boss pointed it out saying none of us noticed it, to which the only other 'experienced' person on our crew said he'd seen it, and muttered the list of attachments adding 'coke spoon' sotto voce so only I could hear. Not that anyone else would even get the reference. Later I checked it out and saw there was a coke spoon, at which point I exclaimed 'there IS a coke spoon!' and collapsed into a fit of laughter. Nobody else understood but the other experienced coworker, who grinned mischeviously.

I also got some candy but it was crappy. There was this one tootsieroll-sized individually-wrapped Chinese cracker with a shrimp on the package that was so nasty I had to spit it out.

2008 gifts from work - Drunk Monk - 12-27-2008

My boss gave me a jump drive - I can use that - as well as a 2lb See's nuts & chews (regifted), no raise and the worst bonus ever (half of usual).

Re: My boss didn't give us a present! - thatguy - 12-27-2008

Our CEO gave us a holiday card with his picture on the front donning a Santa hat. Inside was a $50 bill which I regifted to my daughter for her trip next week to the Domincan Republic.

We also did a "White-elephant" gift exchange. Some of the highlight gifts were: a family-size pack of bacon, and a learn Spanish in 30-days DVD set (which was won by one of our native spanish speakers...). I ended up with a small metal sleigh full of candy.

--tg

Re: My boss didn't give us a present! - Dr. Ivor Yeti - 12-28-2008

My boss didn't give me anything this year - Asshole! Oh, wait...

My other boss (head coach) gave me a logo'd polo shirt with "Coach" on it and one Franklin. Not bad at all, really, considering that no one is getting rich in this sphere. Got a bonus last Summer after so many of our kids did well at National Championships, so life is OK on the fencing front.

The fencing parents outdid themselves this year, highlight being the bottle of Lagavulin 16.

Re: My boss didn't give us a present! - The Queen - 12-28-2008

Nothing this year. At least I didn't get cheesy left-over give-away crap from conventions, like they did a couple of years (the infamous non-working Stenograph clock, the Stenograph go-cup, the Stenograph mini-blanket...) My old boss used to send me a $25 amazon gift certificate. My new boss gives me respect all year round -- hmm... I think I prefer that to bullshit and $25.

Re: My boss didn't give us a present! - King Bob - 12-29-2008

Nothing from the boss, but then I didn't expect anything - he has quite a few underlings, so it would be expensive. (I didn't give my assistants anything either, but I will take them to a good meal with drinks at the end of the academic year.) A friend in another department whom I deal with frequently gave me a good bottle of wine, taking me completely by surprise. And a professor gave me a $50 Borders gift card, which was also quite a surprise since she handles her own web site and therefore I don't do much work for her. Another gave a pretty candleholder, but not to my taste so will probably regift to my mother in law. Another gave me some marzipan chocolates, which was touching since I had once mentioned liking marzipan. (Ironically, the same day I got the candy I was informed by my naturopathic doctor that I am allergic to almonds.)

Re: My boss didn't give us a present! - Greg_phpbb3_import1 - 01-02-2009

I got two mystery checks for my work for the past year. I'm usually off when the studios are giving out gifts to their helots. But I do get vacation pay and those checks always arrive at mysterious times. Some I receive the week after I leave a show, some come months later. These came at a very auspicious time. I think the rent was due.

Re: My boss didn't give us a present! - The Queen - 01-02-2009

I lied -- I did get a present, it just arrived a little late. The president sent me a $50 Visa gift card. Better than a kick in the pants or a pink slip. I sent a thank you note.

RE: My boss didn't give us a present! - Drunk Monk - 12-26-2023

Ttt42023

I’ve not gotten a Xmas gift from work this year. My part time gigs are too small to think of me. My main gig had a bad year - way under goals for many channels and lost two employees (the first year I got some maple syrup).

RE: My boss didn't give us a present! - The Queen - 12-29-2023

No Xmas presents from work for several years, however, they fly all of us remote people in to the home office for a post-holiday party, combined with holding the National Sales Meeting at the home office. I fly in a couple of days early so that I can see my Chicago-area friends, and take advantage of the fast company internet.

RE: My boss didn't give us a present! - King Bob - 12-30-2023

We always get a day off, Christmas eve or the nearest day. A few days before that, they have a holiday luncheon with music by the main university choir. I went this year but think it might be my last. The food is good and the music not bad, but I always seem to get stuck with some people I don't really want to sit with.