The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Forums
Phish - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum)
+-- Forum: Doom Arts (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Doom Music (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Phish (/showthread.php?tid=1366)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Phish - Drunk Monk - 10-02-2008

@ Hampton 3/6-8/9

Wow, first the Dead and now Phish - the two bands that had me on the payroll. Will they hire me back? Not likely now. Too bad, we could really use the money. All I got is $214 from recycling now...
Quote:No Phish tale: Jamband announces 3 shows, more
By JOHN CURRAN, Associated Press Writer
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
(10-01) 13:23 PDT Montpelier, Vt. (AP) --

Those reunion rumors weren't just cut bait: Four years after disbanding, the time seems right to Phish.

The Vermont-bred foursome on Wednesday announced three concert dates next March in Hampton, Va., a longtime favorite venue for the band and its fiercely loyal fans. Other 2009 dates will be announced later, according to a notice posted on the band's Web site.

Ambrosia Healy, a spokeswoman for the band, confirmed in a news release the dates of March 6, March 7 and March 8, 2009, at the Hampton Coliseum. She said band members weren't available for interviews Wednesday.

After a more than 20-year run that saw its audience build from a few people in Burlington, Vt., bars to a Grateful Dead-like cult following, Phish called it quits in 2004. Though their fans continued to pack stadiums around the country that year, it was clear that fatigue and personal problems began to subtly erode the band's intricate and demanding live sound.

But in recent months, its members began to muse about a renewed appetite for the music, causing their well-connected fans to buzz that the reunion was all but a done deal.

"Sometimes you hear bands say `We're breaking up' and a year or two later, they come back," said Jammy Awards co-founder Peter Shapiro, who brought the foursome together last May at the awards ceremony in New York. They did not perform at the appearance.

"By the time they come back, it'll be almost five years," he continued. "That's a fair amount of time for them to do what they needed to do, on an individual level. And probably it was enough time to realize they needed to get back together as a group. They got the itch."

In August 2004, the band said an emotional goodbye with a two-day festival at Newport State Airport in Coventry, Vt. But even that performance ended on a sloppy note: A freakish rainstorm caused many fans to be turned away and trapped the cars of many others in a morass of mud. Those who got in watched the band break down in tears in the middle of some songs and muddle haplessly through others.

But odds are that Trey Anastasio, Page McConnell, Mike Gordon and Jon Fishman will put that all behind them come March. The Hampton Coliseum, where Phish has played a dozen times, is the site of some of their most revered performances, including the one captured on "Hampton Comes Alive," a six-CD set, in 1998.

Phish, which got its start at the University of Vermont in 1983, is known for its amorphous blend of rock, jazz, bluegrass and other styles. Like the Grateful Dead, most songs from their vast catalog include sprawling improvisational passages — with one song often morphing into another — and no two shows are ever the same.

Also like the Grateful Dead, much of its following is steeped in the communal ideals of the 1960s, including life on the road, psychedelic art and, of course, drugs.

The group has released 11 studio albums, and announced Wednesday the Nov. 18 release of "At The Roxy," an eight-CD box set chronicling a three-night 1993 stand in Atlanta.

Since their last gig together, members have pursued solo projects — and Anastasio has endured some tribulations. The guitarist was arrested during a 2006 traffic stop in upstate New York for possessing painkillers without a prescription; he ultimately pleaded guilty, and later spent two days in jail for missing a court-mandated counseling session.

Whether his band will command the allegiance it once did remains to be seen. Word of the reunion lit up message boards a day in advance of the announcement, and hotel rooms in Hampton, Va., were said to be selling out quickly.

"The fans are much more excited than I expected they'd be," said Ellis Godard, 37, of Moorpark, Calif., who runs the fan Web site phish.net. "The fan base — the people who used to tour with them — is older. They have kids and jobs. But all the people who said they didn't care are absolutely nuts. The fan frenzy is much bigger than I expected."
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/10/01/entertainment/e064214D66.DTL&hw=phish&sn=002&sc=491

Re: Phish @ Hampton 3/6-8/9 - Greg_phpbb3_import1 - 10-02-2008

Not to feed the rumour mill flames, okay I am, but whatever to the one band member that had pedophile charges up against him?

Phish @ SLA 8/5/9 - Drunk Monk - 08-06-2009

A Phishhead bit me. I haven't been bitten since Jerry died nearly a decade and a half ago. Phukking phishheads. Mad

Re: Phish - Greg_phpbb3_import1 - 08-06-2009

Nothing more toxic than a human bite.

Or is this how they make more phisheads? Do you find yourself needing to hear long pointless jams? Do you find your clothes too clean? Are you constantly hoping for a wish ticket?

there are plenty of things that are more toxic - Drunk Monk - 08-06-2009

there was the nekkid tripper the cops tazed in their cell who was sticking his finger up his ass. after he was tazed he said "i'm gonna marry that bitch!" acid and tazers are a bad combination.

that wasn't the one who bit me.

Ha - Greg_phpbb3_import1 - 08-06-2009

And then I laughed and laughed. Are you going to put that on a T-Shirt? Tazers and Acid Don't mix.

We were totally thinking of a T-shirt... - Drunk Monk - 08-10-2009

...it would say "Do Acid, Don't Taze"

Phish @ Greek 8/5-6-7/10 - Drunk Monk - 08-06-2010

Phish #1 was phun. The band sounds awesome - as tight as I've ever heard them (and I'm really not a phishhead by any means). They totally killed it with Antelope, Fluffhead and Tweezer. Outstanding crescendos, very high energy. The show was way oversold so it was a journey to make it from one side of the auditorium to the other, and yet, no significant medical impact.

Getting in was hell. I took the worst route in and wound up totally stuck in traffic. It took me over half an hour to go from the north edge of campus, past the greek and then over to fraternity row to park. However, it was okay as the crowd was extremely entertaining and I was in no rush. Getting out was worse. After being stung by such a horrid entrance, I decided to head for Ashby and got totally lost in Berkeley. Then, 880 was closed at the San Mateo bridge, and I got totally lost again at the detour. What a mess. If I got there early enough, maybe I could score some staff parking. I left at 2:30 yesterday and that was too late. Heck, I should just leave for the show now.

Next week, Phish #2 & 3...

Phish #2 - Drunk Monk - 08-09-2010

Also phun.

There's some costuming at Phish, albeit pretty random stuff. There were these two women w/antlers. One had finely-made disco-ball antlers, carefully bejewelled with crystal rhinestones. The other had more traditional antlers, with cheetah tights and a raccoon tail. She was the platypus of phishheads.

RM's former director Raz stopped by and kicked down a shirt from GD CNY '93, the show where I got on stage with the dead alongside the CFs, dressed as Chinese lions.

Hmm, this post has taken a surprisingly furry angle.

Speaking of furries, LB showed. It was great working together again, although the case got heavy as it was an IPR dealing with incest issues from his dad (and when his old-enough-to-be-his-father b/f showed, things got really dark).

Now I should mention that mrs. Dm & cub have hatched this rather evil plan to play pranks on dm when he goes out to RM shows. Both are prankish in nature and know it's a good opportunity to mess with the man of the house. So for phish #1, several re-usable ice packs were placed in dm's bed. They were in a plastic bag, but it still left a wet spot. This night, they buttered the front door handle. Fortunately, dm always has a towel in the car because the handle was too slippery to turn.

ikea intermission - Drunk Monk - 08-09-2010

So sat, in dm's rather depleted state, he had to reassemble an ikea loft bed w/out instructions. it had been in storage for several years. we recently repainted t's room (purple, by request) and have been rearranging furniture, including re-introducing the loft bed. dm once built this bed by himself (not sure how exactly - the instructions must have helped). dm was pretty spent from the last two nights, but managed to build the bed with only one mistake that had to be redone, and that was caught almost immediately instead of the usual dissassemble-5-steps-to-fix-a-mistake-5-steps-ago.

having to think like a swede in between phish shows was surprisingly simple.

Phish #3 - Drunk Monk - 08-09-2010

A third phun night in a row. Surprisingly little psych so the psych crew amused itself. During our psych restraint inservice, our vol IPR role-player got a cut over his eye from his glasses by accident. One of our psych people observing said "let him up. he's bleeding". Dm found that very very funny and lost it in a wicked laughter jag.

All three shows sold out tight and there was no walking about the floor. Unless you shimmied and danced in an orgiastic way, there was just no getting through.

There were more glowsticks at this show than any other. There were songs when it was just raining hundreds of glowsticks.

Phish has this fabulous rapport with the phishheads - there are numerous complex call/response songs and the phishheads are on it. The band sounded quite good throughout.

At the end, dm & posse was trying to hook two ladies up with a cab out front when garbage fire broke out. There was an explosion, which was rather startling. The cops were on it, but they shut down the road so there was no taxis. It made for a longer walk - didn't finish up until 12:30 AM or later...

Re: Phish - Greg_phpbb3_import1 - 08-09-2010

I hope they sell the Glow sticks under the name Phish sticks.

Phish 8/17-19/12 @ BGC - Drunk Monk - 08-20-2012

Phuk, I'm tired. Three sold out shows in SF, sold out tight. Got in late each night and now I'm way down on sleep.

More to come, when I can compose myself a little more...

Phish Phun - Drunk Monk - 08-22-2012

This series of shows sold out in minutes of being announced online. Energy was very high, but it was pro Phishheads from all across the country, so they held their own. Phishheads party hard. Dm was told of a phishhead party ritual, witnessed by some psych friends at an afterparty over the weekend, called a chugaroo. The phishhead soaks his head in ice water for 10 seconds, then chugs a beer and then gets immediately slapped twice across the face as hard as possible. WTF?!?

Phish 1: Dm got there late because he snuck over to see Dark Knight. Most notable was this was the first show for Tim (aka Mr. J. Bailey) who is now a nurse and came on Dm's invite. He was one of three grooms there that dm served to solemnize their weddings. The only one missing was CF. ~ One of our senior vols, an old hippie who loves to be the brunt of jokes, showed off his mastery of psych by talking down an agro drunkn trppr that was intimidating everyone so well that he fell asleep on that old hippie's shoulder. Dm was there just for back up, if it didn't work. ~ Jedi-master Babs showed, as well as founder, Dr. David Smith, so Dm chilled. ~ The new RM director failed to create lammies for this 3-run show, which boded poorly. ~ Dm talked to a lot of drunk phishheads, but nothing major. ~ The brewmaster at Anchor invited all of RM to come by the brewery after the show, which he planned to covertly open just for us. Dm thought about it, but was very tired and hitching a ride back with Tim as he barted into SF. Only 4 showed, but dm knows they had a really good time.

Phish 2: There was a nekkid dude who came in right when RM was really bored. He received a hearty round of applause, but put his clothes on right away. It was an easy talkdown. He came back the next day with humble apologies and thanks. ~ An up-and-coming psych master made lammies on his own time, saving the day (or the night). ~ Jedi-master Joel showed, so dm got him to teach the crowd self-defense and takedown inservice. Dm had many requests to do one the night prior, and he would have been happy to do so, but he's more of a kung fu instructor (poke the eyes, slap the crotch, break the joints), so it's better that Master Joel do it. ~ Dm talked to a lot of drunk phishheads, but nothing major.

Phish 3: There is no supervisor designated for the show and it started shamefully disorganized. Master Babs shows again, and takes charge. Dm rallies for Tim to supervise. It's his 2nd show (he skipped Saturday) which made him the newest vol, so it seemed only logical. Tim was very pleased to have risen through the ranks so quickly. ~ This was the only night that Dm was saddled with a radio. It didn't work, hissing constantly and incoming calls broke up. It was very bothersome. ~ This is the only night that dm got into the music. Phish is an amazingly talented band, the best jam 4-piece in the biz, but rather vacuous lyrically for the most part and generally goes for the high energy dance jam climax. There's no contrast, no depth. But they threw down a great version of Walk Away (love their covers) and Free which were both enjoyable enough for dm to go swimmin' w/the phishys. ~ Dm talked to a lot of drunk phishheads, but nothing major.

Phish @ BGC 10/27-28/14 - Drunk Monk - 10-29-2014

The shows put me at Civic Center yesterday for the World Series telecast. That was really phun, until the 2nd inning. Cry

There's another show tonight there and I'm sorely tempted, but I'm also really burnt out from two magical daze in SF, lack of sleep and excessive phishyness.

More to come....