The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Forums
The Dead - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum)
+-- Forum: Doom Arts (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Doom Music (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Dead (/showthread.php?tid=1345)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

The Dead - Drunk Monk - 09-19-2008

The Dead @ Penn State U 10/13/8

I have a Dead Obama poster that I want to put up somewhere, but it's too big for my car window and the window at home can't be seen from the street. Maybe I'll take a digipic of it and have my way with the prints.

Quote:Members of the Dead to play fundraiser for Obama
Thursday, September 18, 2008
(09-18) 14:37 PDT State College, Pa. (AP) --

Barack Obama has the Dead on his side again.

The Democratic presidential candidate's campaign has confirmed a long-rumored fundraising concert that will include four remaining members of the Grateful Dead at Penn State University's Bryce Jordan Center.

Bob Weir, Phil Lesh and Mickey Hart played at a get-out-the-vote concert in February in California for the campaign.

A Pennsylvania spokeswoman for the campaign says the trio will be joined by a fourth surviving member, Bill Kreutzmann, at the Oct. 13 show in State College.

Other rockers expected to attend include members of the Allman Brothers Band. Tickets go on sale Friday.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/09/18/politics/p131546D80.DTL&hw=grateful+dead&sn=001&sc=1000

told ya so - Drunk Monk - 09-23-2008

Quote:Rumor has it, after last week's announcement about the Grateful Dead playing a Pennsylvania Barack Obama benefit show Oct. 13, that the reunited band - Bob Weir, Mickey Hart, Phil Lesh and Bill Kreutzmann - is contemplating a tour in the spring. They played for Obama in June; before that, they hadn't played together since 2004. Has politics drawn them together again? Let's call it brotherly love, musical companionship, a desire for a better world. "They're all broke," said my spy.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/22/DDA312VVP6.DTL&hw=leah+garchik&sn=002&sc=584">http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 002&sc=584</a><!-- m -->

Quote:Friendship - the kind of long-lasting comradely love that outlives differences and spats - is no joking matter. My spy, whose comment was lightly reported Monday, was wrong about the reasons the Grateful Dead will play together again.
They're going to Pennsylvania because they're all public citizens supporting Barack Obama, and Pennsylvania polls showed that voters were dead even there.
And if they tour together again, it's got nothing to do with financial need. The premise was false; no one's hurting. The Grateful Dead is "built on true love," says Mickey Hart, "and that thankfully has come around for us once again. You cannot make the kind of music that we do just for the money." Whatever split them up has been put aside, and they are "embarking on the next step of our long strange trip for the right reasons."
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/23/DDHP130NAE.DTL&hw=leah+garchik&sn=001&sc=1000">http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 01&sc=1000</a><!-- m -->

See my post on http://brotherhoodofdoom.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1144#p7729

The inaugural ball - Drunk Monk - 01-20-2009

[url]http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/article/20090115/NEWS/901150264
[/url]

Quote:Long, strange trip leads The Dead to D.C.
Drummer Hart and band land inaugural ball gig
CRISTA JEREMIASON / The Press Democrat
By MEG McCONAHEY
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

Published: Thursday, January 15, 2009 at 1:36 p.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, January 15, 2009 at 3:20 p.m.

Mickey Hart said his vintage tux is a little snug. But the Sonoma County resident figures he’ll still have enough range of motion to maneuver the sticks when The Dead do D.C. next week, headlining one of 10 inaugural balls for Barack Obama.

The irony of the counterculture’s ultimate outlaw band performing in black tie at a signature establishment gala is not lost on The Dead’s longtime drummer.

“Can you imagine? The Grateful Dead in Washington? They used to try to put me in jail and now we’re playing for the president,” he marveled on Thursday.

“I’ve never played in a tux. I really don’t like suits. It’s not exactly like playing in a T-shirt. But we’ll do fine.”

The west county musician said he was surprised when Obama actually accepted the band’s offer.

“We told the president-elect that we want to be of service, any place and at any time, and he took us up on the offer,” said Hart, conceding that he was actually stunned they got a call-back.

“I can imagine the inauguration committee being overwhelmed with requests. Who knows anyone who would not want to play an inaugural ball?”

Although their roots were rebellious, Hart said a lot of people who will now be running the country were fans.

“This is meaningful on a lot of levels. It’s not just a rock and roll band. The social implications are deep,” he said. “The Dead stands for freedom.”

He said his activist wife, Caryl, has already picked out her gown in “environmental green.” The couple will bring along their 15-year-old daughter, Reya, who is partial to thrift store chic.

The Harts plan on “ganging” around among capital parties with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Sen. Barbara Boxer, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Sen. Patrick Leahy, who Hart claims is a “major Deadhead.”

“We’re all planning on meeting up at different places,” he said.

@ SLA 5/10/9 Mother's Day - Drunk Monk - 05-11-2009

Set 1: Help>Slip>Franklin's, Good Lovin', Cassidy, Birdsong, UJB
Set 2: Chain, Other One, DrumzSpace, Sugaree, Gimme Shelter, Sugar Mag
E: Saint Stephen>11>Touch

H>S>F was a bold opening and Dm totally called the S>F, much to Mrs. Dm's amazement. Dm also called Other One :& Sug Mag a song or two ahead. Phil & the Rhythm Devils kept tipping their hand so. But they never played Mama Tried, which was Dm's main prediction. GL was ok, something very swine flu like. They lost it on Cassidy, with some redemption in Birdsong, but they fully turned it on for UJB. That's the good ol' GD sound, that crazy jam-self-absorbed sound, what we've been missing so much lately. 2nd set & E was blaz'n. Drumz went full on rav with about a half dozen firedancers adding to the mix. Warren tore up on Gimme Shelter. The encore dropped a lot of hat tricks, with an anthemic close.

Dm actually bought tix - one of several mom's day presents. It was a pleasure to watch a show, front to back, and not have to wear a radio. Didn't even visit RM at all. Flew way under the radar. Only the wiliest of deadhead friends found Dm.

We even stood in line, went through the front door and did the mad land rush to position ourselves right. We lost our salt shaker to the door search. Mrs. dm packed snacks in a hurry and forgot it was glass. Fortunately enough salt had spilled out for our cucumbers.

It was a great show. They're selling tix for $20 for Thursday, which must be way undersold (as opposed to Mom's Day which sold out tight quickly) $20?! No surcharge? That's less then a movie and popcorn. If any of you decide that's cheap enough to get your dead on, find me at RM. Just got to keep it together 'til then.

Re: The Dead - Greg_phpbb3_import1 - 05-11-2009

My how times have changed. You brought salt and cucumbers to a Dead Show. And the salt got taken by the man.

It was high grade salt too. - Drunk Monk - 05-12-2009

It was the season opener for SLA and they didn't quite have it together. The door searchers weren't even wearing gloves. They were being far too picky, so much so that the show's start had to be delayed for like half an hour because there were still lots of deadheads trying to get it. We probably all got our salt taken.

SLA 5/14/9 - Drunk Monk - 05-15-2009

Set 1: Jack Straw, U.S. Blues, Mason's Children, Ship of Fools, FotD, SotM > Terrapin > SotMoon
Set 2: Estimated > New Potato Caboose > Born Cross-Eyed, Dear Mr. Fantasy > drumzpace > Dew > China > Rider
E: Scarlet > Fire, Deal

Dm told his boss he was leaving early, but was originally thinking like 4:20 (SLA is just across dumbo bridge). When he got back from lunch, his boss said 'oh, i thought you left. why are you back?' to which Dm said 'good question' and shot over to SLA immediately (thinking all the while about PPFY & TQ's whiskey rendezvous...not). Shakedown street was massive. The show was busy for RM, but managed to catch quite a bit because dm was in the groove like the old daze, like Mason’s, a great tune that was abandoned years ago for no good reason whatsoever. FotD, SotM > Terrapin > SotMoon was phenomenal. Only caught a bit of Estimated while on a call, then got wrapped up in patients. Got back out for China > Rider E: Scarlet > Fire, Deal. That was all very satisfying. There were a lot of lost souls in the end. Dm didn’t get out of there until 2am. Dm is astounded that he used to do three of these on a weekend in a row, then three more at Cal Expo on the next weekend – dm was much younger then (and certainly more juiced up, knowwhatimean?)

The boys are back. Dm is really hoping they continue to tour.

Re: The Dead - Greg_phpbb3_import1 - 05-15-2009

I only go to Dead shows when they do Touch of Gray

you should have been there Sunday then - Drunk Monk - 05-15-2009

Touch was the final song.

jerry as a vocaloid... - Drunk Monk - 12-05-2014

Quote:The Dead To Perform Two Exclusive Shows With Holographic Jerry Garcia

[Image: image.php?f=jerry-hologram.jpg]

Stemming from the success of Tupac's hologrammed performance at Coachella in 2012, the living members of The Grateful Dead have announced two exclusive performances with a hologram version of the late-guitarist, Jerry Garcia.

The performances will be held this July, in two of the Dead's most storied cities, New York and San Francisco, at Madison Square Garden and the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium respectively.

The Jerry hologram was created by HoloJams, a company devoted to capturing beloved dead rock musicians in hologram form. About the use of hologram-Jerry, CEO Sam Watts said, "We're very excited that The Grateful Dead have decided to use our holographic Jerry. Once we ensure that these performances are well-received, there's no telling what we'll do. We could even be looking at a nationwide tour." Watts went on to talk about some of his other holograms, including a Freddie Mercury, Jimi Hendrix, and even Paul McCartney. "The McCartney one is mainly for us at HoloJams... we can never get enough Beatles music."

While some may find this decision controversial, the move is aimed at younger Dead fans who never had the opportunity to see Jerry Garcia perform. This particularly appealed to one fan, Jenny Sunshine, 19, said, "This is awesome! Now I'll finally be able to rock out with Jerry!"

The Hologram-Jerry has been programmed from over hundreds of hours of Grateful Dead performances, predominantly from the late-60s and early-70s. "We wanted to capture Jerry at his finest," says Watts. "And really, what could be more heady than 1972 Jerry?"

Good question, Mr. Watts. Be sure to let us know how you feel about this performance in the comments!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/the-dead-to-perform-two-exclusive-shows-with-holographic-jerry-garcia/">http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/the-de ... ry-garcia/</a><!-- m -->

Re: The Dead - El Dingo - 12-06-2014

I want in on this.

roflmao ED - for realz! how often do you hear me say that? - Drunk Monk - 12-09-2014

If this happens, I must take T. It's the closest she might ever get to experiencing Jerry.

I'm also hoping he does a duet with Hatsune Miku.

barton hall - Drunk Monk - 05-08-2017

Its one of the greatest dead shows ever. Cornell 77. I've had tapes of it - several in fact, worn through. The 2nd set is blazing hot.

Today is the 40th anniversary of that show.

An official collectors edition was offered this year and Stacy got it for me for my birthday. It came this weekend. I listened to Set 1 on my commute this morning - the weaker set of the night with Lazy a lightning - and I was getting chills, weeping for my friend steve, remembering blissful days spent with him and the Dead. I was transported from my commute back to those magical shows when Jerry led me around by his noodling licks.

Then my windshield caught a rock and chipped. Feckin mondays.

RE: The Dead - Greg - 05-09-2017

The shit storm continues....

Meh - Drunk Monk - 05-10-2017

Its not a major chip. I could fix it myself with one of those kits. It's just bothersome.

Meanwhile Set 2 of Cornell 77 remains brilliant - the Dead at their peak with the Godchaux. This was nicknamed the Holy Grail of dead tapes, now brilliantly remastered for us aging deadheads who still play CDs (or vinyl even). I suspect Set 2 will be playing in my CRV until Cali Roots.