The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Forums
Sierra Nevada World Music Festival @ Boonville - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum)
+-- Forum: Doom Arts (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Doom Music (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Sierra Nevada World Music Festival @ Boonville (/showthread.php?tid=454)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Sierra Nevada World Music Festival @ Boonville - Drunk Monk - 06-19-2023

It’s hard to post from here. I’m on admin
Wifi but it’s
Totally overloaded

RE: Sierra Nevada World Music Festival @ Boonville - Greg - 06-19-2023

Wait! Are you still there? Or just having problems with tenses?

Home

That was a rough ride. Nearly fell asleep at the wheel like 98 times. Now for the epiphany salt bath.

(06-09-2023, 04:12 AM)Greg Wrote: That cord would be 39 years old at this point.

Found! It was buried in one of my black bags, tucked in a fold. Year 40 here we come!

(06-19-2023, 07:34 AM)Greg Wrote: Wait! Are you still there? Or just having problems with tenses?

That post was from early this morning when I was still there. In the wee hours, less people are on the cell tower so I can get through sometimes. Usually it just times out and I waste my precious iPhone battery life. I need to invest in a fast charger.

F = 7.4 miles
S = 6.5 miles
S = 9.7 miles
M = 4.1 miles

RE: Sierra Nevada World Music Festival @ Boonville - Drunk Monk - 06-20-2023

https://www.ukiahdailyjournal.com/2023/06/19/world-music-festival-brings-roots-and-culture-to-boonville/

Usually I post the article for your convenience but this one has some sort of weird block that drops me out when I try to cut&paste it here.

RE: Sierra Nevada World Music Festival @ Boonville - Drunk Monk - 06-20-2023

Last Thursday seems like forever ago. I managed to get that early morning Friday post out before the crowd arrived. Much to my delight, I gave out my Safety Meeting laminates prior to my show lams, meaning we got right to the safety meeting before most of staff hit the ground. You'll see plenty of safety meeting pix on my Facebook as I release them. 

I confess, I was running amuck before Tara arrived. DM unleashed. 

Everything closes in Boomville around 8-8:30 and dinner wasn't provided. Me and some of the crew made a mad dash to the last open restaurant right when the SNWMF staff meeting was held, which is why we skipped it. I was annoyed by that but it was the only play because I had not brought dinner for myself. 

Our camping area was spacious. Weather was perfect - hot during the days - low 90s with a cool breeze and it didn't stay that hot too long, cool evenings but not cold, light jacket weather. 

My vision is still quite blurry and my tinnitus is at 11. Typical. 

Friday's music didn't start until 6. I had all day to get the last 3 in, including Tara. Those were my only tasks beyond being at the ready, but I'm always at the ready. Born feckin ready, man... At least I thought I was, and then Saturday happened. Ouch. But we'll get to that...

RE: Sierra Nevada World Music Festival @ Boonville - Drunk Monk - 06-22-2023

The last three came in smoothly. Two were Marc & Marcus who were to arrive at 1 & 4 but both arrived at about the same time in the middle of it. Was worried about Marcus because it was his first time but being Jedi he got all the way to camp without any passes. Tara got a little confused following maps which led her to the fire station. She came in late - 8:30 after the shuttle stopped. I was worried she might not get a space but she got one of the last ones. We had a pleasant walk in and got picked up at the festivals’s edge.

JAH Med was lean and mean. I had a borderline patient first. She was with parking crew, run by an old friend. She was hyper dramatic, said she was homeless, without friends or money and she just wanted to go to the show. Parking got her to cut her wristband and she was released to the wild where later I saw her surrounded by cops. That was prolly for the best. She had a history and one of the nurses remembered her from a similar breakdown.

RE: Sierra Nevada World Music Festival @ Boonville - Drunk Monk - 06-22-2023

Musically, SNWMF was a joy from start to finish. Friday I caught some of 7th street showcase on the village stage. A nice warm up. Then I said ‘high’ to my DJ bud Spleece as he was spinning for the main stage just prior to Kabaka Pyramid. But then I was called away (can’t remember why). Got back out for some Kabaka and some Luciano - both are acts that I enjoy for a few songs but a whole set gets repetitive so all I need is maybe 20 mins or so, a few songs. 

Then There was my beloved dancehall. There were these new red horns in the sound system that really pick up the mid range. Warrior International sound was relentless and pounding. It had to be the loudest DJs ever to play there. All the corrugated steel roofs were shaking sympathetically - made our campsite sound like the snare drum of god. A chunk of ceiling fell off and hit Toch (Joel’s son who is now a high school grad and over 6 ft tall). It was probably asbestos. Hoel, Toch, & I brought our lightsabers for some dueling fun. Unfortunately mine was malfunctioning and I could only get the blue saber without sound effects (it died the next day when I tried to recharge it - I must contact saberforge about that). We had a lot of fun and later, many commented that they saw some crazy rastas with lightsabers and later realized it was us. The best part was I got into a duel with a hawty in a top hat and clown nose armed with a light up boa and a slappy hand clapper. Too much fun. 

Left for camp around 15 mins before the dancehall closed. Hoel had this new electric dab rig that was truly dangerous. I had to cut myself off the following night from that beast. I’m still coughing from that and my tinnitus is still around 11 from that DJ.

But the damage was done. Might as well press on now and enjoy it.

RE: Sierra Nevada World Music Festival @ Boonville - Drunk Monk - 06-23-2023

I rose with the sunrise, grabbed some tea and snacks from JM and did my qigong, plus some Shaolin & Xingyi in the empty village stage grove. Another staff person was doing tai chi on the other side and I tried to catch his eye for a salute but he was too focused and I didn’t want to disturb that. 

Then there was a huge breakfast (JM lays a major spread for each meal - 1/5 of our crew is the kitchen) which was delicious although it’s firefighter food - heavy on sugar & carbs. I ate the a pig all weekend (Tara did too). Regretted that during the hippie yoga class. I brought my sticky mat to CR but never made it to yoga. Here I made both sessions with Tara (who is young, flexible and strong) and a few other JMers. It was delightful only the twists and inversions gave me heartburn. 

Tara and I enjoyed the day of shopping and listening to music. Enjoyed the Clarendonians and Derrick Morgan (the King of Ska) was fantastic. He’s wheelchair bound now but what a voice. Ironically I caught a bit of ska early on which drew me to the main stage but then it stopped and I was sad. Then after that I fell into some sort of ska hole - every act I saw seemed to have a bit of ska. 

Started to watch Taurus Riley but then got called away. There were lots of snipe hunts. Then there was the one that wasn’t. And Saturday night turned dark…

RE: Sierra Nevada World Music Festival @ Boonville - Drunk Monk - 06-26-2023

D00M confidential - do not share.

There was a death. It was offsite but connected. A young beautiful girl, so I’m told. I wasn’t on scene. I heard ‘cpr’ on the radio and tuned in. Local medics were only BLS, so having 2 docs gave JAH Med more medical power, despite the limitations of our contract and they called for help so some of our team responded.

The gal had been dead for maybe an hour but cpr was initiated out of protocol. She was transported and declared at the hospital. Her friend waited in JM for another friend to pick him up. He was in shock and tears. Regretfully I hesistated in offering console - that energy was just too raw and I flinched. Fortunately a nurse and our Doc stepped in and I just backed them. 

Although the details are scant, I’d guess fentanyl.

Deaths always stick with me for a while. Perhaps even more so with age. I’m not exactly sure how many concert deaths I’ve seen now. Some Ive seen up close but most from a distance. You’d think I’d have a number, but I guess I try to forget them. I stopped counting. I’ve been pondering how many since last weekend and it’s maybe a dozen now? Some were pretty far away like that suicide at the Mountain Winery when someone ran up on the light scaffolding and jumped. I wasn’t at that at all, but I was tapped to provide some console for those that were there. That may have been the last time I was called on for that. It’s not my forte.

RE: Sierra Nevada World Music Festival @ Boonville - Drunk Monk - 06-26-2023

Following the death, there was a call out to family camp for a kid that drank half a bottle of vodka and wasn’t responding. I stayed back with those that held main Med. Turned out the kid was close to 300lbs and there was only a narrow fence passage to get him out - seemed like quite to ordeal but our team got it sorted and the kid went to the er. He was back the next day, still sleeping it off.

After that we hit the dancehall. Tara was going to join us but fell asleep. I was torn between waking her or letting her sleep and opted for the latter because she was going to drive home Sunday night and could use the down time. We missed the fire dancers which were reported as excellent. The dancehall was Rory of Stone Love. And it was irie. Not as pounding as the night before and a sweet selection of rootsy tunes. Hoel, Marc & I skanked like in the old days. We’ve been working these festivals together for over 20 years - Marc took a few years off to raise his son but now he’s returned. That was great fun in a purgative way.

RE: Sierra Nevada World Music Festival @ Boonville - Drunk Monk - 07-01-2023

One of my odd chores is to finish this today, not so much for any of your benefits, but for mine as I'll like ly review this next year, when the time comes.

I rose at dawn on Sunday. Father's Day. Tara was up by breakfast (the JM cooking crew does the most amazing veg biscuits and gravy, one of my fav dishes but hard to come by in a veg form - I often tell them that the only reason I work JM is to get that, and there is some truth to that). She gave me a SNWMF hat, which I had said I wanted, as a gift. Truly the gift was spending SNWMF with her. I'm so pleased that she enjoys being my accomplice on these adventures. I added a Wu-Tang pin to that hat that I bought from a pin vendor I like. He does these laser etched wood pins, with abalone inlay. Much like my Cali Roots souvenir hat with the SLA Dead pin from 2019, this new lid will serve to remind me of a fantastic run.

Tara and I did yoga again. We were the only JMers that survived to the Sunday class. She did well being young and flexible. I had issues with indigestion because I ate too many biscuits and too much gravy, and I knew that was a mistake at the time, but it was a small price to pay. The class was good, low stress, but there were some serious yoginis there. There was also this dreadlocked dude who just did shivasana for the whole period - corpse pose where you just lie on your back. He had the right idea.  

For the rest of the day, Tara and I wandered about enjoying the music, art and shopping. Tara got herself some cool new pants after much deliberation. I didn't get anything beyond that pin. It was a very pleasant day - perfect weather and everyone was having an irie time. Musically, nothing hit like the day before. It was waiting for my fav living reggae performer - Winston Rodney - Burning Spear. I was so relaxed that we missed the opening. We were just sitting around idly when someone mentioned it was after 8 and we rushed to find a spot in the crowd. Missed the opening 10 mins or so. It was Tara's first exposure to Spear, and she was impressed. But she had planned to leave mid set because she had to be at work early on Monday. We had already staged all her stuff. She just needed to get to her car, stop by JM on the way out, grab her staged stuff and stay awake for that 2 hour ride home. We hugged goodbye, and dispersed (there were two others with us at the time and they went their own ways into the crowd too). I went backstage and hung out with my SC DJ friends in the pit at stage right, but I wasn't an an angle where I could see so I left them. I found a nook under the stage that offered a fantastic view. There were only 5 of us sharing it and we had a blast.

Later that night, we hit up the silent disco. A new gal, a close friend of my psych supervisor partner had been saying how much she wanted to dance, so we ducked the rest of the crew, grabbed headphones, and danced the night away. It was good irie fun and what happens in the dancehall, stays in the dancehall, even the silent disco dancehall. 

I grabbed a few hours of sleep, and got out early, with several of my crew in cahoots. It was a brutal ride home, but once again, I survived.

Thanks & praises to SNWMF. It was truly a wonderful weekend. So glad to see it return and I can hardly wait until next year. Until that time...

RE: Sierra Nevada World Music Festival @ Boonville - Drunk Monk - 07-04-2023

RE: Sierra Nevada World Music Festival @ Boonville - Drunk Monk - 06-16-2024

What the fuck!?!

RE: Sierra Nevada World Music Festival @ Boonville - Greg - 06-16-2024

Have you lost another festival?