The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Forums
Award Show Thread - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum)
+-- Forum: Doom Arts (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Doom Media (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Award Show Thread (/showthread.php?tid=6165)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Award Show Thread - thatguy - 02-05-2024

Hey, I was at that show...totally forgot about it. All I can remember is that We were so far away from the stage that the delay between the audio and the Jumbotron video was apparent/annoying. 

--tg

RE: Award Show Thread - Greg - 02-05-2024

I think we saw the perfect amount of Grammies. I saw about the first forty five minutes and the last half hour. I enjoyed Trevor Noah's monologue. I really enjoyed the Luke Combs/Tracy Chapman duet on Fast Car. I'm not a precious hater like others. The look of joy on Ms. Chapman's face when everyone applauded for her was perfect. And Luke Combs looking at Ms. Chapman with such awe and admiration was really good.

I learned later that the Sza song is called 'Kill Bill' so the fight scene made more sense, although I wish they had shown more of the fight and less of the singing. I saw Billy and wished she would stop with the breathless singing bit. I saw Miley and now have 'Flowers(FU, Liam Hemsworth)' stuck in my head.

After that, we switched to watch other things because the Queen disdains award shows with a passion. But we came back to watch the final two awards and the performance by Billy Joel. Glad Ms. Swift got more hardware. Nice to see Billy with some new music that sounds like something off of 52nd Street or The Stranger. And I was glad to hear "You may be right" rocking the house. Although they didn't cut away to show the crowd rocking out, so I suspect everyone was making for the exits while he played.

RE: Award Show Thread - Drunk Monk - 02-05-2024

(02-05-2024, 10:20 AM)Greg Wrote: I learned later that the Sza song is called 'Kill Bill' so the fight scene made more sense, although I wish they had shown more of the fight and less of the singing. 

Ah, I recant my earlier dis of reports of this and QT. 

That Amnesty show was awesome. It remains one of my fav concert shirts - Tracy - Peter Gabriel - Springsteen - Joan Baez - Youssou N.Dour. I need to dig out that shirt again. Human Rights Now! I remember being very moved by Tracy's performance.

the reply

RE: Award Show Thread - King Bob - 02-05-2024

88 Amnesty show - was that the one in the Oakland Coliseum where Springsteen headlined? And Peter Gabriel played, but unfortunately had Marcus Miller on the bass, and the mix was really bad.

Just noticed that DM said it was indeed that show. I had forgotten that she played. Mostly I remember that Springsteen seemed like a caricature since he was full in "Born in the USA" days

Missed the Grammys. On purpose.

(02-05-2024, 01:00 PM)King Bob Wrote: Missed the Grammys. On purpose.

Ha. We just sorta stumbled on it but then became annoyed at how few country and rap celebs we didn't know.

RE: Award Show Thread - thatguy - 02-05-2024

(02-05-2024, 01:00 PM)King Bob Wrote: 88 Amnesty show - was that the one in the Oakland Coliseum where Springsteen headlined? And Peter Gabriel played, but unfortunately had Marcus Miller on the bass, and the mix was really bad.

Just noticed that DM said it was indeed that show. I had forgotten that she played. Mostly I remember that Springsteen seemed like a caricature since he was full in "Born in the USA" days

I must be thinking of a different show. It was outdoor. (Eastbay?) some huge venue I haven't been to before or since. I remember Tracy Chapman looked so tiny, all by herself on this huge stage, so far away...like a little ant.

--tg

RE: Award Show Thread - King Bob - 02-05-2024

Yes, it was the outdoor coliseum, next to the indoor. Isn't that what it was called back then?

Yes, the outdoor. Where the Raiders played. 

I searched for my Human Rights Now RM shirt this morning but couldn't find it. It's usually in my active stack. Maybe it's in storage now.

RE: Award Show Thread - Greg - 02-05-2024

The Raiders and The A's played in the Oakland Coliseum, the big outdoor venue. It is also where many Day on the Greens were held.

Yep. For the first two decades or so of my Rock Med service, it was a regular, both the indoor and outdoor arena. There's a connecting corridor which is where we were stationed for indoor shows. For outdoor shows, we were usually in the dugout, like we are in the Giants stadium now. They did the big upgrade on the indoor stadium, adding boxes that split the levels. I never got past that. For years, I kept going the way I thought I should go, only to realize that was the old layout. 

Saw many great shows there. So many fond memories. I've crashed there during three-show Dead runs. Those were Fear & Loathing level afterparties and all-nighters.

But we let go of it. Now they seldom book acts that interest me. It's just as well. I don't have the bandwidth anymore.

Oscars 2024 - Greg - 03-11-2024

Oscars 2024

That was a bit of okay. My main take away is I really need to see Poor Things. I thought for sure Barbie would win Production Design but no. John Cena was the funniest thing I've seen on the Oscars in a long time. I still don't care for Kimmel but he seems to get in the way less and less the more he does it. The Ken performance was also quite good. I thought Lily Gladstone was in with a shot for Best Actress, but no. The only time I thought the presentation for actor worked really well was the first time for Best Supporting Actress because all the actresses on stage had a personal connection with the nominees. The other three times they did the presentation, there wasn't that personal connection.

Once again I recorded the show and started about an hour late so I could fast forward through the commercials.

RE: Award Show Thread - Drunk Monk - 03-11-2024

We watched most of it in bits over YouTube. From what we saw, I concur. 

So happy for Godzilla and Miyazaki.

RE: Award Show Thread - Greg - 03-11-2024

Miyazaki was a bit of a shock for me. I thought it was going to go to Spiderman.

RE: Award Show Thread - Greg - 03-11-2024

I also liked all the cameos in the Ken number especially Simu Liu and Dr. Who. Having Slash and Wolfgang Van Halen playing didn't hurt.

RE: Oscars 2024 - thatguy - 03-11-2024

(03-11-2024, 08:47 AM)Greg Wrote: Oscars 2024

That was a bit of okay. My main take away is I really need to see Poor Things. I thought for sure Barbie would win Production Design but no. John Cena was the funniest thing I've seen on the Oscars in a long time. I still don't care for Kimmel but he seems to get in the way less and less the more he does it. The Ken performance was also quite good. I thought Lily Gladstone was in with a shot for Best Actress, but no. The only time I thought the presentation for actor worked really well was the first time for Best Supporting Actress because all the actresses on stage had a personal connection with the nominees. The other three times they did the presentation, there wasn't that personal connection.

Once again I recorded the show and started about an hour late so I could fast forward through the commercials.

I think Poor Things is free on Hulu right now...
(it's in my queue, but I haven't seen it yet)

--tg