The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Forums
Kung Fu reboot on the CW - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum)
+-- Forum: Doom Arts (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Doom Media (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Kung Fu reboot on the CW (/showthread.php?tid=6184)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Kung Fu reboot on the CW - Greg - 04-16-2021

There's no grit to the series. All the shows are very polished. They don't have a lived-in feel to them

RE: Kung Fu reboot on the CW - Drunk Monk - 04-16-2021

I need more easter eggs. 

...and better fight scenes

...and better story line

...and better performances

I wonder how long it'll run. I'm still seeing fairly positive review and it's getting viewers. The sympathy vote?

RE: Kung Fu reboot on the CW - Drunk Monk - 04-22-2021

e3 wow, this show just keeps getting worse. it's so painfully cw, almost like a bad parody. the dialog is so stilted. the end montage with some trendy song so cloyingly cliche. 

but the reviews are still good. it's that stopasianhate sympathy vote. i just heard there were some incidents here - some grafitti and some urine dousing. goddammit. 

i feel the urge to call out the emperor's new clothes on this show.

RE: Kung Fu reboot on the CW - Greg - 04-23-2021

I figured you bailed on this show since you didn't review it yesterday. My desire to see another episode wanes.

RE: Kung Fu reboot on the CW - Drunk Monk - 04-23-2021

I’ve been watching it online which becomes available on Thursday. 

I’ll see it through. It gives me something to complain about (as if I don’t have enough already).

RE: Kung Fu reboot on the CW - Greg - 04-26-2021

I saw the first half hour of the third episode and decided I was done.

RE: Kung Fu reboot on the CW - Drunk Monk - 04-26-2021

Ya know, I'm sitting on this grenade to absorb all the shrapnel with my ass just so you don't have to. And you watch it anyway. You're just letting my ass go to waste? 

Honestly, I think I was done at the trailer. But I feel obligated. I keep thinking I need to Emperor's New Clothes Nicky for Den of Geek, but it's so delicate right now, plus one of the writers is a friend (although not a close one, more of an associate). Besides I have plenty of other things to write about now so why be so neg, right?

RE: Kung Fu reboot on the CW - Drunk Monk - 04-29-2021

E4 has the most fights so far. One in the dark which was lame and a full out KungFu duel, which was also lame. 

The CW soap aspect is getting even more cliche. 

Nicky’s jacket is even more Caine like and it looks out of place.

This suckage continues.

RE: Kung Fu reboot on the CW - Drunk Monk - 05-03-2021

Quote:‘Kung Fu’ & ‘Stargirl’ Renewed At The CW
By Peter White

Peter White

Television Editor

May 3, 2021 10:30am

[Image: pjimage-1-1.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1]
The CW
The CW is continuing to kick-ass with renewals.
The youth-skewing broadcaster has picked up freshman series Kung Fu for a second season and handed a third season of DC’s Stargirl ahead of its sophomore debut.
This comes as the network continues to look for stability in its scripted lineup – bringing the number of renewals for the 2021-22 season to 15 with only The Republic of Sarah, which launches in June, still pending.
The renewal of Kung Fu is not a surprise. The drama kicked off strong with more than 3.5M viewers watching the premiere episode and it had the  highest total viewership number for a Wednesday debut in 7 years since The 100 debuted in 2014.

Kung Fu follows a young Chinese American woman, Nicky Shen, played by Olivia Liang, whose quarter-life crisis causes her to drop out of college and go on a life-changing journey to an isolated monastery in China. But when she returns to San Francisco, she finds her hometown is overrun with crime and corruption and her own parents Jin (Tzi Ma) and Mei-Li (Kheng Hua Tan) are at the mercy of a powerful Triad.  Nicky will rely on her tech-savvy sister Althea (Shannon Dang) and Althea’s fiancé Dennis (Tony Chung), pre-med brother Ryan (Jon Prasida), Assistant District Attorney and ex-boyfriend Evan (Gavin Stenhouse), and new love interest Henry (Eddie Liu) as well as her martial arts skills and Shaolin values to protect her community and bring criminals to justice…all while searching for the ruthless assassin who killed her Shaolin mentor Pei-Ling (Vanessa Kai) and is now targeting her.
Christina M. Kim wrote the pilot episode and serves as executive producer/co-showrunner with Robert Berens. Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter, Martin Gero and David Madden also serve as executive producers.  Hanelle Culpepper directed and co-executive produced the pilot episode.  Kung Fu is produced by Berlanti Productions and Quinn’s House in association with Warner Bros. Television and is inspired by the original series created by Ed Spielman.
Similarly, last year’s premiere of Stargirl was The CW’s most-watched summer debut in six years. The show’s second season premieres on August 10.
Stargirl follows high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore (Brec Bassinger) and her stepfather Pat Dugan (Luke Wilson) as she leads an unlikely group of young heroes to take on the legacy of DC’s very first superhero team, the Justice Society of America. In the thrilling second season, Courtney and her friends take on one of the most frightening adversaries in DC’s mythology – the dark entity of corruption known as Eclipso.

Geoff Johns is showrunner and executive produces with Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter. Based on the characters from DC, it is produced by Berlanti Productions and Mad Ghost Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television.
The renewal of both shows has been made slightly easier due to corporate synergies. Kung Fu’s premiere episode also aired on TNT, the basic cable network owned by The CW co-owner WarnerMedia.
The CW Sets Summer Premieres For Final ‘Supergirl’ Season, ‘DC’s Stargirl’, ‘Roswell, NM’ & More; ‘Riverdale’ Moves To August
The pick-up of Stargirl, meanwhile, is part of a deal between The CW and HBO Max to co-finance the show. The show originally aired as part of DC Universe, but was renewed for a second season by The CW in summer 2020 and a deal was worked out between the broadcast network and the streamer where The CW gets first run followed by its launch on HBO Max.
These are the latest examples of the two companies working together – they recently picked up Wellington Paranormal, a New Zealand horror mockumentary based on Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi’s What We Do in the Shadows film, together.
“We are beyond proud to continue to share the stories of Nicky Shen and Courtney Whitmore, two strong, powerful young women at the center of this new generation of hit shows for The CW in Kung Fu and DC’s Stargirl,” said Mark Pedowitz, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, The CW Network.  “While each boasts remarkable talent on both sides of the camera, Kung Fu and DC’s Stargirl have not only treated fans to some visually stunning action and high-flying heroics, but they also both strike very powerful emotional chords as they delve into the family dynamics and personal relationships at their core, and we are so excited to see what happens next.”
They join recently renewed series including Superman & Lois, Walker, All American, Batwoman, Charmed, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, Dynasty, The Flash, In the Dark, Legacies, Nancy Drew, Riverdale and Roswell, New Mexico.

having a sad...

RE: Kung Fu reboot on the CW - Drunk Monk - 05-10-2021

E5 was the BLM/StopAsianHate Ep. It’s bookended by the dumb 8 weapon quest but the bulk of it is about a black kid being killed by the police and the protest following it. It’s still painfully CW, and there’s a tiny part of me that wants to say that it was pandering to the issue, but at the same time, it was good to see it represented, even if it was in that beautiful people CW way.

There’s an opening flirt fight that’s really weak. Nicki has no Kung Fu. I might forgive that if that actress had some acting chops, but she’s as cardboard as any CW actor. It’s the show’s weakest link. 

Tzi is playing a caricature of his kindly father typecast. I’m finding no character that I can relate to except maybe the villainess. And she wasn’t in this Ep.

RE: Kung Fu reboot on the CW - Drunk Monk - 05-13-2021

E6 still bad.

A hackneyed heist plot. Painfully predictable right down to the dialog. The villainess has a bigger appearance and I do like her but that’s about it. 

2 fights. Both weak and the final one was a cat fight but all the heavy lifting was clearly stuntmen in wigs and drag.

I hate this show. And I can’t stop watching it.

RE: Kung Fu reboot on the CW - Greg - 05-14-2021

When I saw the synopsis that said "Character X makes Character Y give up Kung Fu for a week" I knew I made the right decision to stop watching.

RE: Kung Fu reboot on the CW - Drunk Monk - 05-14-2021

(05-14-2021, 06:50 AM)Greg Wrote: "Character X makes Character Y give up Kung Fu for a week" 

Is that next week? Because it hasn't happened yet. My lord, did you just drop a spoiler? Now my experience is ruined.

E5 was acceptable because it addressed the political climate that the success of this show is so heavily hinged upon right now. And the villainess is okay. But oh man... the Kung Fu sux. How can they not get that part right?

RE: Kung Fu reboot on the CW - Greg - 05-14-2021

RE: Kung Fu reboot on the CW - Drunk Monk - 05-14-2021

not watching that.
don't want to spoil it.

okay, really don't want to see it twice... i'll let you know how it goes next week. what else would i do here?