The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Forums
Laurie Anderson - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum)
+-- Forum: Doom Arts (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Doom Music (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Laurie Anderson (/showthread.php?tid=4601)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Laurie Anderson - Dr. Ivor Yeti - 12-04-2018

G-Man can tell you about following drones.

RE: Laurie Anderson - cranefly - 12-04-2018

Well, heck.  I thought crack and peel was what the door guards do.  They crack the door open, reach out and peel the desirables from the groupies -- as selected by the band members.  Sort of a badge-less backstage pass.  But as usual I was overthinking it.

RE: Laurie Anderson - Greg - 12-04-2018

Whew! Finally saw the SF Drones exhibit. It wasn't quite as loud as DM made it out to be.

RE: Laurie Anderson - Drunk Monk - 01-25-2019

Quote:Zorn, Riley, Anderson will reprise their musical partnership in May in SF

Joshua Kosman January 24, 2019 Updated: January 24, 2019, 10:19 am

[img=0x0]https://s3.amazonaws.com/sfc-datebook-wordpress/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2019/01/63648673_DATEBOOK_zorn0125-1024x683.jpg[/img]Terry Riley (left), John Zorn and Laurie Anderson take a bow after performing together at the Chapel in September.Photo: Geoffrey Smith II 2018
Laurie Anderson, Terry Riley and John Zorn — three luminaries of the experimental music world who collaborated for the first time in September at the Chapel in San Francisco — will return to the venue for a two-night residency on May 17 and 18.
The trio performed together during a seven-performance celebration to mark Zorn’s 65th birthday. For that event, the composer-saxophonist welcomed a diverse slate of collaborators, including Mike Patton from the San Francisco band Faith No More, John Medeski, Matt Hollenberg and Kenny Grohowski, as well as the ensembles Simulacrum, Trigger and Secret Chiefs 3.

But it was the joint appearance with Anderson and Riley that seems to have  sparked the most excitement among the performers. What was assumed to have been a one-off partnership has now blossomed into an ongoing collaboration.
“Terry, Laurie and I all felt the music coalescing during our concert last September and we are totally stoked about where the music will take us across four full sets this coming May,” Zorn said in a statement. “We love playing at The Chapel and we intend to pick up where we left off — and really raise the roof!”

Tickets for the event go on sale at noon on Thursday, Jan. 24.

John Zorn, Laurie Anderson, Terry Riley: 7 and 9:30 p.m. May 17-18. $55 ($100 same-day pass, $195 four-show pass). The Chapel, 777 Valencia St., S.F. 415-551-5157. www.thechapelsf.com

Same weekend as TCEC 2019.  I've just invited Laurie personally.  It would really tickle me to put her name on our list.

RE: Laurie Anderson - Greg - 01-25-2019

Awesome sauce.

Yeah, well, it would be astonishing if she actually made it.  She's been chipping at doing a taiji thing at this upcoming Lou Reed memorial, and been picking my brains about that (I know, I know, slim pickings, especially lately).  I'm actually kind of bummed because I'd love to see the show again.  I've been really getting into live jazz lately.  

I always invite all my celebrity circle, anyone that might come.  The thing is that we don't pay appearance fees or travel (I might be able to arrange lodging).  So Daniel Wu, Ray Park, Marko Zaror, all those peeps, you know I'd love to have them come.  

Laurie would be really funny because no one would know her.  Gigi knows her but has no idea what she does.  When we had Lou Reed at our 10th Anniversary, hardly a soul there knew who he was.  ED knew and was one of the few that was appropriately star struck.  I remember him getting Lou to autograph a spear.  

It kills me that I never got a selfie with Lou.  We hung out like a dozen times, sometimes really informally for like Dim Sum, and sometimes backstage at shows - so many missed opportunities.

Well, what do you know?  Laurie got back to me.  She's going to try to make it for Monday morning.   Inlove

RE: Laurie Anderson - Dr. Ivor Yeti - 01-25-2019

Dm, you’re...you’re *blushing*!

RE: Laurie Anderson - Drunk Monk - 01-26-2019

It's those damn xoxos that she signs off with - gets me every time.   Blush

RE: Laurie Anderson - Drunk Monk - 02-22-2019

Quote:What is a Grammy to Laurie Anderson?
The avant-garde artist discusses her award-winning album, Landfall, and how her work and Buddhist practice have merged over time.

By Matthew Abrahams
FEB 20, 2019
[img=715x0]https://tricycle.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Laurie-Anderson-press-photo-02-2018-a-billboard-1548-1024x677.jpg[/img]Laurie Anderson | Photo by Noah Greenberg
Many titles have been affixed to Laurie Anderson’s name: polymath, poet, composer, filmmaker, activist, raconteur—and as of February 10, she can add Grammy-award winner to that list.
Anderson won the award for Best Chamber Music/Small Ensemble Performance for [url=http://www.nonesuch.com/albums/landfall]Landfall, a collaboration with the prolific Kronos Quartet. Written in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, the album was released by Nonesuch Records in early 2018 but began as a live multimedia performance five years earlier. Landfall blends Anderson’s electronic innovations and spoken word with Kronos’s impeccable performance to offer an exploration of loss after storm surges inundated the basement of her Manhattan home. The floodwaters laid waste to the myriad props, instruments, documents, and other materials she had collected over her storied career.
Tricycle spoke to Anderson, a longtime Buddhist practitioner, by phone about her latest award as she was preparing for a performance at the Pitchfork Music Festival at the Art Institute of Chicago.
You’ve certainly had a lot of mainstream success, but you never seem to court it directly. At this point in your career, what does it mean to win the Grammy for your album Landfall?
First of all, it was a record I made years ago, so it’s very odd to have it be considered. Also, I made it with the Kronos Quartet, and it really was a collaboration. So, it’d be a little bit odd not to completely share that with them—and also with all of the engineers. Frankly, it made me think about how many people participate in making a record. I usually work by myself—I’ll mix the record and then have it mastered. I’ll be really obsessed with it. But I didn’t mix this album at all. I just listened to the mixes that other people made. So I have a real appreciation for the collaborative process on this one.

The nicest part for me was that when I won, I suddenly heard from people that I hadn’t heard from in a while, saying, “Hey, congrats on the Grammy.” I realized, whoa, that [the album] had a ripple effect, and I felt this strange connection to the world that we have once in a while.

This was your fourth Grammy nomination. Do you think anything was different this time?
I’d be a poor person to try to analyze what happened. I have been on a lot of committees to give prizes, and it’s almost flukeish what wins sometimes. Giving a prize doesn’t necessarily mean that the winner is the best or even that people agreed that it was. One time, I was on a committee to give a sculpture prize, and all of the work was awful. We said, “We’re not going to give a prize.” And they said, “You have to give a prize.” And we said, “We can’t give a prize, and here’s why: then that person will make more of this stuff.”

The other thing you have to consider is that there’s so much music being made now. It’s overwhelming. When I first started making records, my own field of experimental—whatever you call it—music was tiny. And here I am at Pitchfork [Music Festival in Chicago] with so many young, experimental musicians doing things that are really exciting. It’s almost a genre now.
Landfall is inspired by Hurricane Sandy and the things you lost in the flood. Is this album influenced by Buddhist teachings on impermanence?
I’m not sure what influences what, but I know that being a Buddhist and being an artist are the same for me. In both cases, it’s a very simple situation in which you’re asked to do just one thing—and be aware of it. That’s what I’ve always tried to do as an artist. When I realized the similarities, the way they influenced each other got more and more intense. I’m not even sure it’s influence; they’re almost one thing that changes shape depending on what I’m doing. The parallels are particularly clear in improvisation, because that’s so focused on the present.

Was there improvisation on this album?
We improvised a couple of the sections in Landfall; the members of Kronos are really great improvisers. I would say, “Let’s improvise around this phrase,” and then we would play and I would turn that into parts and put those parts into the score. And then we would improvise on top of that.

There was a lot of present-tense work in that process. For me, being in the present in music is one of the most exciting things I can do. It’s the closest to meditation that I can find. It feels like a real practice.
That’s what I’m doing here at Pitchfork: I’m performing some duets with the classically trained cellist Rubin Kodheli using a lot of electronic sounds. Kodheli can do anything, so it’s completely thrilling to play with him.
I’ve also heard you say that you push back against the idea that music or art is not about self-expression but about curiosity. Does that come out of your practice?
Well, I hope I didn’t say that, because it sounds so know-it-all. I don’t know what music is about. Some of the most beautiful music I’ve ever heard is about self-expression. I hope that was a misquote.

I’m paraphrasing, for sure.
Music is reinvented every time somebody whistles or makes a symphony. Tonight, I’m going to try a hypnosis project that has to do with sound and music, and I’m going to see what happens. It’s a combination of improv and stories that try to get you to feel the way sound goes into your ears and curls around and goes into your mind and mixes with the rest of the stuff that’s sitting in there—and to really feel what that’s like, in terms of a sensation.

This way of looking at sound and sensation is like what I’ve been trained to do with [Tibetan Buddhist teacher] Mingyur Rinpoche. I’ve been his student for a long time. This summer, I lost a lot of sight in one eye. As part of the treatment—which involved a gas bubble being injected into the eye—I had to keep my head down for ten days. So I listened to a lot of Mingyur’s teaching on sound and emptiness, and they were really wonderful. They were about listening to music in various capacities in your mind. For example, one involved listening intellectually, and another would be emotionally. He would play a piece of music and say, “Listen to this and instead of getting involved in the piece of music, step back and watch your emotions.” He played Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony, which is a string of emotions one after another—a new emotion every bar: triumph, despair, regret.
I follow some of his teaching when I’m writing now, and it’s a new way for me to think about music. So music and meditation are coming closer and closer.
In one of the songs on the album, you say, “99 percent of all animals that ever lived are now extinct.” What role does climate change play in this album?
Oh, gosh. I think it’s pretty embedded in the stories. I do believe that life as we know it will be disappearing from the planet. We’re the first human beings who have ever had to contemplate that and try to express it. What is it to tell the story of your own extinction? Stories are things that you tell to other people, and in this case, you would tell that story to no one. Is it still a story if you tell it to no one? My answer is: yes, it is. It’s an awesome job to do that.

I asked one of my teachers, “What happens to the big karmic wheel if we all become extinct?” He said, “Well, that’s why the Buddha talked about other universes.” I was like, “Whoa! That’s an amazing answer!” I’m always very happy when my worldview gets colossally expanded like that. Here we are on Earth, but it’s not the only thing happening.

[img=0x0]https://tricycle.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Tricycle-1modifs.png[/img]
Matthew Abrahams is Tricycle's web editor.

RE: Laurie Anderson - Drunk Monk - 01-26-2020

Laurie Anderson: Quanjing Jieyao Pian w/Mike Patton 1/25/2020 SF Jazz

Laurie is resident director for 4 shows at SF Jazz again.  This was show #3. Quanjing Jieyao Pian is one of the most important treatises of Chinese martial arts. Written in the 16th century, it was the first survey of martial arts as we know it.  Previous martial arts works, like Sunzi, are about battlefield tactics.  This is about individual combat, 32 7 line poems of strategies and schools of martial arts at the time.  It's an incredibly pivotal text. 

I reached out to Laurie about it before the holidays but got no response.  On a second attempt, she handed me off to her agent who set me up with a comp +1.  Stacy came.  We were excited going up the coast, watching a huge surf break on the shores all the way up and enjoying the brilliant fields of yellow sourgrass blooms. We planned on lunch at House of Nanking - it was Chinese New Year after all.  

Our plans were foiled by the Women's parade that put us in gridlock as soon as we got off the highway.  What a nightmare. We struggled for nearly an hour to get out from 7th st exit to mission and 9th, and find a parking spot (this was a struggle too because the meter was broken) and settled for Ananda Fuara.  Then we headed to the Asian Art but it was just about to close so we just got passes to the gift store, then reparked the car in a better spot. 

After a perfect oat milk espresso at Blue Bottle, we got pizza at Paxti's, and headed over to the show.  It was sold out. Our comps were in the back row.

The first two pieces were cacaphonic - Laurie on violin and keys like usual, Mike making mouth clicks and yelling, also on synth and distortion, and some dude on standing bass who's name I didn't catch.

HERE'S WHERE DOOM CAN HELP. Who the fuck is Mike Patton?  I know - Faith No More, Mr. Bungle - I know those bands by name but didn't follow them.  Anyone here a fan?  Mike was really obnoxious through the whole performance.  He was yelling randomly and playing shrieking distortion that sounded like amplified dentist drill.  Man, it got me dreaming of being famous enough that I can just yell on stage and people would applaud.  I have to write this up for KFTC and I want to say something nice beyond his wiki info.  Can any of you help me here?

Laurie talked about finishing Lou Reed's Tai Chi book (I was among 70+ people she interviewed for this), about Lou's practice and her vipassana retreat (I've heard a version of this tale before). There was reciting of some of the translated versions of Quanjing.  It worked for me in portions, but then Mike would make some horrifically annoying noise and it would pull me right out. In the end, they played to this 1948 B&W film of some Chinese dude doing Tai Chi and Hung Gar which was captivating, an artsy piece of vintage footage I've never seen before.  I will follow up on that to find out more.

The ride home was brutal.  Tule fog all the way from Pacifica to Davenport.  I had my wipers on full blast from the condensation, not rain.  Visibility was horrid. Who the fuck drives with high beams in the fog?  People going NB on hwy1 on CNY at night.  Fuck man, that's why cars have fog lights.  

So it was an exhausting outing for a show that I'll have to really work at to get a good page long news piece.  They say what you do on CNY sets the tone for the year.  I had a good solid Kung Fu session this morning.  But then I sat in traffic for a long time, went to a disappointing show, and had a harsh drive home.  Good thing I'm not superstitious. At least I ate well.  

RE: Laurie Anderson - Dr. Ivor Yeti - 01-26-2020

Bummer. You should just invite Laurie out to dinner with you and Stacy. Everyone would have a better time.

It's like tomorrow, bro.  Still working off those post tournament blues?  Go to sleep already!

Sadly, Laurie was too busy this time around to get together.  Maybe next time.  Or maybe that ship has sailed.  One can never tell with celebs.  They are such a different breed.

RE: Laurie Anderson - Dr. Ivor Yeti - 01-26-2020

Sleep? I read about that somewhere. SOunds fun. Just back from Burns Night at Chez Haggis Killer. 25 year old Laphroaig was the treat. Oh, the people were nice, too.

(01-26-2020, 02:20 AM)Dr. Ivor Yeti Wrote: Haggis Killer. 25 year old Laphroaig 

HK? 25 yr Laphroaig?

Tell HK he needs to come by here again.  And bring that Laphroaig.