The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Forums
Sierra Nevada World Music Festival @ Boonville - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum)
+-- Forum: Doom Arts (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Doom Music (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Sierra Nevada World Music Festival @ Boonville (/showthread.php?tid=454)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Boonville bound - Drunk Monk - 06-19-2013

I leave in an hour

To review:
06: The skillet and the cast iron stove
07: Cutter/biter
08: The wildfires, the stabbing, the krew feud and the meningitus. In retrospect, I didn't really describe how insane that got.
09: Delightfully mellow
10: Another Grand Weekend
11: Gluttonous
12: More gluttonous but I came back ill and that cost me a lot

not sick yet - Drunk Monk - 06-24-2013

and it was rather gluttonous, however saturday was a lot of work - administrative work, not the type i usually volunteer for - that was bothersome. at least i got out before it started raining.

more to come.

Hard to compete with Beijing and Mallorca, but here's my tal - Drunk Monk - 06-25-2013

So I thought I had clearance to see this one all the way through. SNWMF almost always ends on Father's Day, and I go scurrying back to my daughter to enjoy a day of much-needed pampering after a gluttonous weekend of excess. This year, T blew me off and went backpacking. I saw her early in the morning on Father's Day when she left and she was too groggy to remember to wish me a good day. Alas, the teen years have begun.

But as it worked out, I had to rush back anyways, do my usual cut out early Sunday morn, to attend to T. At first, I was annoyed, but then, when it started raining on Sunday, I was relieved to have an excuse for an early exodus. On the front end, I managed to leave early - Wednesday afternoon straight from work - better than driving back to the Cruz and dodging the Thursday commute. I had a rider - a new padawan - my double junior Kung Fu brother Chris who recently had my back at our tournament. I knew he was stalwart and could hang with the JNK, and had already done some restraints with him last Halloween. He had no idea how intense it was going to be and I should check in with him soon to see if he is ok. We got up there super early. The pre-show bands were black&whit holstein, prompting many comments about 'having a cow'. There were only a 6 others from JAH Med and very little was set up. Even the stages weren't built yet. Kynd Rugz was just starting to build their booth, but showed us some nice welcoming hospitality. KR's Alex, who works in music ambiance, had sad news - his boss just lost her husband a few days earlier in a shocking car crash. Many in the scene knew them, so that was really sad. We stumbled about town and found this weird little restaurant/gift shop run by a Mexican family that was watching telenovelas. It was cold and windy and neighborhood dogs barked all night.

Thursday was quiet. I woke to a fine breaky of Guinness and hard boiled eggs, grown with love by our director. I spent the day hanging out, making sure all the JNK arrived safely (they are skilled at entry so it wasn't much challenge - it just gave me something to do). Not much to report here beyond the fact that I was deeply enjoying the gluttony. There were other weird tales from the JNK: At Reggae on the Hills, a noted JNK took over Rock Med's air-conditioned facility because they were too stupid and gave it up (it was 110 degrees so they soon regretted their foolishness). Also, LB had a nasty burn incident spilling hot butter all over his wrist, so he arrived wounded (there's more to this story, but I'm not really at leisure to share).

Ok, that's a boring start, but I gotta go now. More later.

I was expecting more from the 20th - Drunk Monk - 06-28-2013

I've been off my game for campouts. Perhaps it's the move. I've failed to pack well for the past two, and failed again on this one - strike 3. Forgot my special neck pillow and my melatonin. Next time, packing list.

Musically, I didn't get to see much, which really bothers me in retrospect. I caught the opening band on the main stage - The Green - which was a good opening band in that they were unremarkable, yet passable, perfect background soundtrack to excited conversations. I was looking forward to Prince Fatty because I heard some good tracks and he had cartoon martial arts figures as his pic in the program. But that fell short as it was taken over by Holly Cook, a silky-voiced songstress who would be fronting him on the main on Sunday, and she just didn't do it for me. There was a great Bollywood dance group - Duniya Drum and Dance - that took over the village stage just prior to the JAH Med meeting (which lasted 2 frigging hours!) Wanting to see that act, I convinced the staff to check out a dance before the meeting, but it only kept their interest for one dance. I could have watched their whole act. The last act on Saturday was Stephen and Damien Marley, two of my favs, and they were really good, but they didn't blow me away as I would have liked. In the dancehall, Gaudi was interesting as he had a lot of crazy devices including a theremin, but it wound up sounding like Star Wars after a while - lots of spacey beeps and whines. Jah Shaka was ok, but he didn't really mix. He just played vinyls, which I felt I could do. Downbeat the Ruler and Comanche High Power were enjoyable. One of them pulled out a lot of vintage Marley tracks, which is always a winner, but I can't remember which and that's indicative of my level of impression as well as my state of mind. Reggae is not moving me like it used to - at least not lately. I found myself enjoying the company of my awesome Jedi Nite Krew, who I was honored once again to lead into the reggae fray, and with my fellow JAH Medders, who are a great gang of characters, full of heart and humor.

I did one restraint - a two-man that went to four. I was part of the initial two. It went poorly in the fact that I totally lost my grip on my side, loosing both leg and arm and had to do one of those flying reversals to regain control. The irritating thing was that I foresaw that it was going to happen and just couldn't manage to regain position without such a dramatic change. When we finally got some back-up, the patient had cycled down and the relief was all 'what's all the fuss?' We swapped out restrainers and said 'He's cycling. You'll see.' About 10 minutes later, when he cycled up again, they went to a four-man restraint.

Re: Sierra Nevada World Music Festival @ Boonville - Greg_phpbb3_import1 - 06-28-2013

Hey, I was just in a cathedral that had pieces designed by Gaudi. They played Toccata en Fugue during the mass on the giant organ. It is now the only way I want to hear that piece.

Was there a theremin? - Drunk Monk - 07-01-2013

I've always thought I could play a theremin. It doesn't look very hard. Then again, I thought I could play a digeridoo, which looks really hard, and it turns out that I can't really. I just make vacuum cleaner sounds until I pass out. But back to Gaudi, I think he does electronica mostly, and just gave this performance a reggae spin because it was a reggae fest.

I broke my shoe at SNWMF. The left heel was wearing thin and on the way there I was thinking 'Should I get new shoes and trash them at SNWMF or should I let my iPaths die an honorable death there?' I opted for the latter. I had to repair them with 4x4 gauze pads, moleskin and duct tape. I just got some new shoes in the Cruz. I was hoping not to get reggae shoes, as my former iPaths were reggae shoes, but then there was this pair of Emericas on sale at Skate Works and I was there helping T buy her first skateboard. The funny thing is that they say 'made in emerica' inside the shoe, but the actual label says 'made in china'. That's what sold me.

My car CD player also died on the long trip home. That really sux for me as with the new hour commute, I rely on my CD player. My family says I should just update to iPod. There is an iPod/MP3 jack which I'm sure works as I've never used it.

Toccata in Fugue on an organ cathedral. Can't get much better than that. I'm so envious.

7/20-22/14 - Drunk Monk - 07-05-2014

I got home from Yosemite on Thursday night and got up early to meet my padawan in Fremont on Friday morning. He was kind enough to drive and he's got a lead foot. We were racing to make it there by 2:30. We just made it. You see, this year, SNWMF turned 21, and it turned into a booze fest. The first 24 hours was pretty blurry, very beery.

Dm took on two new JNK acolytes - one a top rn from Whitebird and the other, her bf, one of the brewers at Anderson Valley brewery. Anderson Valley Brewery is right across the street from SNWMF. Boomville's brewery. And the nooB JNK took the JNK on a tour - open taps (including AV's Wild Turkey barrel-aged delights). It was fun, but DM had to scurry back to the meeting and deliver the in-service. Oh, in the rush, Dm and the new padawan forgot to grab lunch. Dm hit the meeting horribly trashed and had to get another to lead and just coach from the side because his speech was way to slurred to be taken that seriously. Fortunately, other board members were in cahoots and it was an amusing, if not nefarious, entrance for the JNK. The following day, the Docs wanted a tour, and as the AV tour leader was part of the JNK, as JNK leader, he had to accompany them for another tour. On Doctor's advice even. AV donated a half keg to the JNK (which was finished in 24 hours). And there was the traditional single malt showdown between the Doc and DM, with an added 'shine whiskey distilled by one of the responders. Dm didn't sober up until Saturday sometime, when he had to come up for air.

The weekend was fairly mellow overall for JM. Among the notable tales were Raj, a clingy IPR who wore a fabulous Indian regal robe (name changed to protect the guilty) and was allegedly dosed with an acid-infused mango (he was ok, just needy), a steam burn on an IPR, who freaked out when he discovered like a dozen medics behind him (as nothing was happening, there was some over-responding), and some classic dancehall syncopals. The padawan earned a nickname 'The Flow' because he failed to defend a 'flowing' lava light from the 'flow' of pee of a wayward patient. It's a good name as it alludes to his general Daoist nature. The worst was late Sunday night (which DM slept through completely) - an IPR broke into a nice RV and locked himself in their for hours, smearing. Smearing is a prison thing typically - smearing feces and vomit everywhere. As it was a clear case of trespassing, that went right to the cops. DM was grateful that his crew handed it and didn't wake him.

The show was way undersold and chilly. CA Roots and RotR 30 were blamed for low attendance. It was more of a rock steady show than a reggae show. Friday night, Ozomatli provided a nice background sound at the Rock n Rugs booth. Adrian Sherwood w/ Josey Wales and Comanche High Power made for a very enjoyable Dancehall. Saturday Dm was really looking forward to Sly & Robbie w/Mykal Rose, and that was ok, but their getting on and lack the intense edge that Dm so worshipped a decade plus ago. That act is on tour (with Bitty McClean too) and will appear again at RotR. To be honest, it was pretty beery blurry still. Shaggy closed and was nearly booed off stage. Dm walked out on that early to make it for Mighty Crown in the dancehall. MC dropped a nice Jr Gong jam, but then kept teasing riddems for a minute the pullin dem up, never letting them settle. Dm ended up dancing with Molly (brought by the new rn), so it didn't matter. Sunday was very pleasant - a nice mellow rock steady vibe. Derrick Morgan stole the show from the small stage - the best act all weekend. Morgan Heritage was polished as always. There was an excellent belly dancer named Natalie, a friend of a friend no less, who did a captivating sword dance in the wind no less. Dm has always thought he should do a story on belly dancing sword dances. He often recounts making swords for belly dancers back at the Armoury, that and selling swords to Anton LaVey. Good times. Rebelution - eh, they still suck. Can't watch them and not remember how badly they trashed our space a few years ago.

It was a fun time this year, and the JNK came together marvelously, but there's some karmic debt brewing for sure. The JNK have gone unchallenged for many moons. To quote the gospel of Star Wars "I've gotta bad feeling about this."

2015 - Drunk Monk - 06-12-2015

I leave this Thursday. Two of the ladies of the JNK are picking me up bright and early. Been stressing JAH Med politrix of late but this may be and artifact of my own stress. Often I bail early to make it home to spend Father's Day with my daughter, but not this year. And I have Monday off to get home and recover. Actually I'm not sure how I'm getting home but the following weekend is the dead so I'll be back.
Snwmf has the best lineup this year so I'm rather looking forward to this.

SNWMF 2015 - Drunk Monk - 06-23-2015

It was glorious. DOOM report imminent.

2015 - Drunk Monk - 06-26-2015

SNWMF had the best line-up of any festival this year in DM's humble opinion, but strangely, he didn't engage the music that much. SNWMF has become such a social gathering for DM, not only with his JAH Med accomplices but with so many friends in the reggae/music scene in general. And usually Dm scurries home to spend Father's Day with his dawta, but this year, she's in Oaxaca so no need for that. Dm could see the entire weekend through, from Thursday to Monday, a real treat. What's more, dm hitched a ride from one of his lead JNK conspirators, Sarah, who in the daytime is a stalwart activist for homelessness and prisoner reform in the Cruz, and at night is one of the top JNK operatives. She and her husband Edgar are good friends of DM, but Edgar had to work Friday and Monday so their mission was for Sarah to set up camp early and Edgar to come up later and leave early. What's more, they had a phat new ride, a posh Rav, so Dm was stylin'.

Dm had a major gear fail, his beloved burnoose cord gifted from Greg which has been part of his festival arsenal for years, vanished in the wash last week. It's clingy, so it's probably stuck to another piece of laundry, but Dm folded and stowed all of that and never found it. It's a crippling blow, but Dm has been considering changing up his festival gear, primarily because of sitonmyfacebook, where his photo archives reveal little variation in attire. Plus, dm was carded last April when buying some JD at CVS to honor the first year passing of his dad. Carded. 3 decades past turning 21. All dm can think was that it was because he was wearing a hat. So dm has been wearing a lot of hats lately. Also, despite packing for so many fests, he forgot his yoga mat and his tea. The tea was a stupid oversight because Dm has a lovely case of green, small packages perfect for fests, gifted to him by a grateful kung fu master. He also invested in a new collapsible cup, bought fresh from REI, and that baby rocks because it'll fit into his fanny pack and is great for water, tea, coffee or beer. Knowing the drunken mess last year was with the new addition of the Anderson brewer to the crew, he brought his homer simpson beer opener. Dm & Sarah were among the first to arrive and secured a hidden nook to camp, outside of Yaaard, as Yaaard was locked up (one of DM's tasks that day was to get that unlocked for the crew).

The Anderson brewer JNK member dropped off several cases of beer, including a fully stocked and iced cooler. It was a daunting pyramid of beer - great beer - and he was even apologetic that he couldn't secure a keg. The annual single malt tasting was won immediately by Doc Gregg, who opened with a 21 Glenlivet (that's like a $150+ bottle, right?). Doc Lee offered a 20 talisker (which is also like $200). Dm brought a 8 year old small batch bowmore (like a $40 bottle, as publishers don't make near the scratch that docs do). It was gratefully accepted and drunk although not with the fervor as the other two. Another JAH Medder brought his own home-distilled corn whisky, which was only a few days old. That was also enjoyed.

With the Dawta in Oaxaca, dm was perturbed to hit the wifi mess that any fest is with so many trying to log on to a limited bandwidth. What's more Dm's pom got a foxtail between his toes, so mrs. Dm had her hands full, and Dm was constantly trying to keep up with what was happening at home and Oaxaca. But even his phat new iPhone6 wasn't up to the task. Stupid festie wifi.

The JNK nooB was a savvy yoga hippie chick (dm's fav) and so DM, eager to rectify his embarrassing drunken default of the in-service last year, was most eager to redeem himself. So he used the nooB as an excuse to do an all-female in-service, quickly recruiting two of SNWMF's sauciest party gals, an emt and rn, to assist. They had no idea what they were doing even though they've sat through dm's in-service many times, but they had all had a great sense of humor about it and made provocative use of their scantily-clad summer attire. It certainly kept everyone's attention. Dm could have recited the national anthem instead of giving his usual schpeal and it's likely no one would have noticed. Even Dm's chauffeur, the ever-wise female JNK Sarah, said it went well.

The Anderson Brewery tour was delightful as always and is becoming a mainstay of SNWMF. This year, dm was very careful to pace himself. What's more, the JNK brewer, secured some of the precious Devil's Share, some residual whisky left from the Wild Turkey barrels that Anderson ages their finest stout in - it's a very rich, oakey whisky, very very nice.

JAH Med was 'swimming in condoms'. Yes that's an actual quote - dm thought it should be shared here.

The IPR load was never overwhelming and the JNK never had to do anything more than verbal restraint. But it was fairly constant, especially on Saturday night, costing Dm Jimmy Cliff's act, but that was alright as there are a few JNK that are really into Cliff, and DM has seen him a bazillion times, so Dm was happy to work so they could see him. About a 3rd were friends and acquaintances of the JNK. And a somewhat overlapping 3rd were staff (of course). The funniest one was labelled the 'toilet-plugging nuisance' - he allegedly gulped down half a vial and his friend claimed he were seasoned because he was Wavy Gravy's cousin or some crap, to which we replied 'if you're so seasoned, why are we dealing with your casualties?' The most annoying one came on Sunday morning, just as the last JNK team fell asleep. so dm had to wake a few, and the IPR had to be bumper-carred back to his tent, but by the time that happened, the sun rose. No sleep for Dm that saturday night. The messiest was monday morn with a drunk passed out in a ditch of poison oak. Got him back to the Dub Lounge where he promptly puked all over himself. Dm cleaned most of that up, as much as he could given it was like 3AM. But as DM wasn't driving, dm could afford to go the distance for the whole weekend, so it was cool.

One of the outstanding highlights was fresh abalone. One of our responders snuck off Friday morn to catch 3 abalones. Those were cleaned, tenderized, breaded and fried to perfection. Dm went back for 2nds, 3rds, and 4ths, easily eating more than $100 worth.

On Saturday for the solstice, the moon, jupiter and venus formed a triangle over the stage. On Sunday night, they were all in line with Leo jumping in between them.

Musically, DM didn't engage it too much even though he felt this festival had the best lineup of the year. He missed Stick Figure completely, which bummed him out because it's one of the Dawta's fav bands and dm aspired to catch a little for an instagram vid. Yellowman was good, still in top physical shape at 58, but his voice is shot. He introduced his dawta and they sang a duet 'Father's Love' which made dm get all misty. They showed up later in the Dancehall for a few more songs. Friday's Dancehall rocked - Mungo's Hi Fi with Solo Banton. That was top notch. Saturday brought some nice folk music to the small stage. Dm caught some of Third World, which was okay. That night, the Dancehall started strong, then faded, then got a little better at the end. The campground sound systems were shut down pretty early. As dm approached one, a stunning hippie chick ran up to him and begged him not to shut it down. Dm didn't realize that's what she wanted so he was very confused for a spell. Sunday was all about the finale act, Thievery Corporation. Dm caught almost the entire act and it was great. Luv them.

That's about it for this year, at least all that DM can discern from his notes and tattered memory. On to the Grateful Dead's Fare The Well shows....

Monkey messing with my krew - Drunk Monk - 06-13-2016

Last week, I lost 5 members of my JediNiteKrew.  I only have a krew of 13.  I have replaced them all now, with one tentative.  I leave on Thursday.

To review:
06: The skillet and the cast iron stove
07: Cutter/biter
08: The wildfires, the stabbing, the krew feud and the meningitus. In retrospect, I didn't really describe how insane that got.
09: Delightfully mellow
10: Another Grand Weekend
11: Gluttonous
12: More gluttonous but I came back ill and that cost me a lot
13: Broke my shoe
14: Anderson Brewery
15: All female in-service

well look at that - Drunk Monk - 06-17-2016

I can hit DOOM from SNWMF.

It raining but we're not in yard. We've been moved under a roof. 

I have wicked drunk hiccups from our single malt showdown.

On your way to 4:20 - cranefly - 06-17-2016

Less than three hours to go.

RE: Sierra Nevada World Music Festival @ Boonville - Greg - 06-17-2016

Way to pace yourself. DM!

Stay dry - Drunk Monk - 06-17-2016

Waiting under the bleacher canopy for Scrstch. He's 45 min late. The main stage field is only a 5th of what it should be. It's raining steadily, not hard but cold.