The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Forums
Laurie Anderson - Printable Version

+- Forums (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum)
+-- Forum: Doom Arts (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Doom Music (http://www.brotherhoodofdoom.com/doomForum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Laurie Anderson (/showthread.php?tid=4601)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Laurie Anderson - Drunk Monk - 12-01-2018

Went to Kung Fu practice just now.  When I got in the car, my vision was really blurry.  The sound was so big that it shook the aqueous humor in my eyeballs and it still had not settled.  I was having trouble on the drive home but I thought that was just because I was tired.  After some qigong, my vision has got back to normal.

RE: Laurie Anderson - Drunk Monk - 12-01-2018

Quote:Brighton Festival Fills A Church With The Eternal Howl Of Lou Reed’s Guitars

Stuart Huggett May 19, 2016 4:58 pm

Approaching St Mark’s Chapel, a 19th century church in the east end of Brighton, a low rumbling note begins to filter its way in among the noise of the busy hospital traffic nearby. As you head up the church drive, the frequency grows rapidly louder, increasing to a roar, as if St Mark’s is possessed by an electric spirit from a 1970s horror movie.
In a sense, it is. For the fiftieth Brighton Festival, St Mark’s (nowadays an arts venue, The Spire) is hosting the UK premiere of Lou Reed Drones, a cacophonous live installation of the late New York musician’s guitars and amps, humming to themselves at enormous volume in the afterlife.

[Image: 2016_LousReedDrones_StuartHuggett_180516-4.jpg]

This year’s Brighton Festival is curated by Reed’s widow, the musician, artist and filmmaker Laurie Anderson, and the Dronesinstallation was the idea of Stewart Hurwood, Reed’s guitar technician in his later years.
Once inside the church, its windows covered in thick black drapes expect for the sunlight streaming through the stained glass window over the altar, the noise is overpowering. St Mark’s has been emptied of pews and in the centre, on a low stage, six of Reed’s guitars lean against a semi-circle of his amps, feeding back and droning. A glitterball sparkles overhead. In the centre, Hurwood, in shades and Lou Reed tour t-shirt, makes slow, careful adjustments to the din, increasing one amp’s output, decreasing another, creating gradual changes to the immersive guitar hum.
Drones and feedback have featured in Reed’s work since The Velvet Underground in the ’60s, influenced by his early VU colleagues John Cale and Angus MacLise’s participation in La Monte Young’s Theatre Of Eternal Music Ensemble. While Reed’s notorious 1975 album ‘Metal Machine Music’ consisted of an hour of dense, complex feedback, the sound of Lou Reed Drones is more meditative and hypnotic. Hurwood is presenting the performance for five hours solid, over five days. As Anderson states in the programme notes, it’s, “The closest you can now get to Lou’s work”.

[Image: 2016_LousReedDrones_1_StuartHuggett_180516-2.jpg]

This afternoon when we stop by, there are around two dozen people inside, some standing, some sitting, taking photographs or taking notes, some laid flat on the floor, eyes closed, absorbed in the roar. Even with the essential use of the complimentary ear plugs handed out on the door, within five minutes my hearing is starting to buckle and crackle.
In recent years I’ve sat through consecutive nights of My Bloody Valentine at their most aggressive and seen a Sunn O))) show so loud my clothes flapped as the volume threatened to strip them from my body. Foolishly I didn’t use hearing protection on those occasions, and each time it took several days for my ears to return to normal. Having dodged tinnitus on so many occasions, I’m taking no chances, even with ear plugs.
After 15 powerful minutes, I stumble outside where other attendees are now sprawled on the grass in the sunshine. At least the hospital’s next door.

[Image: 2016_LousReedDrones_2_StuartHuggett_180516-2.jpg]

This reporter could only take it for 15 mins.  tg & DM went the 4 hour distance.  For the honor of DOOM.

RE: Laurie Anderson - Greg - 12-01-2018

All hail.

RE: Laurie Anderson - Drunk Monk - 12-02-2018

Private lunch date tomorrow with Laurie. It’s feeling even more surreal this time going into it. I’m so honored that she made the time with everything else she has to do. Still vibrating from Drones.

RE: Laurie Anderson - Greg - 12-02-2018

Are you going to Livestream it to Scapino?

I was thinking you might do that...

...with your drone.

Big Grin

Actually I started a Facebook album dedicated to Laurie. Maybe you can share that with Scapino tomorrow. It will be more fun if it came from you than me, more mocking for sure.

I was with Laurie at MOMA after lunch because there’s a China exhibit that caught her eye. We only popped in for a selfie and so she could buy the exhibit book. On the way out, while she was waiting for her Uber, I bumped into a fellow parent from mt mad. I blanked on his name (it’s andrew - remembered as soon as we split) so I didn’t introduce them. I could see it was slowly dawning on him who I was with. After she left, Andrew freaked out and said ‘Holy shit! That was Laurie Anderson! Omg I was trying to be cool!’

DM doesn’t have to try to be cool, not with his celebrity circle.

RE: Laurie Anderson - Drunk Monk - 12-03-2018

LAURIE ANDERSON: SCENES FROM MY RADIO PLAY

W/ FRED FRITH @ SFJAZZ 12/2/18

That was a great Sunday. MOMA & Asian Art, wandering SF, and then an excellent show. Monday starts in 15 mins and it’s gonna suck, so I’m hoping to sleep for a few hours and I’ll submit my DOOM report later. 
Twas a rollicking weekend. 

That was the first time I've been in SF JAZZ and it's a nice venue.  Classy and cool.  The show was just Laurie and Fred and their instruments.  They jammed together, and then Laurie would spiral off into her captivating storytelling accompanied by Frith's absurd approach to guitar.  Watching him is like watching an alien play.  It's like that alien discovered a guitar but had never seen it played and had no idea how it should be played.  And maybe that alien has tentacle and lobster claws.  He rubs the strings with a chalkboard eraser, taps them with a violin bow, brushes them with a paintbrush, even drops a flat metal tin filled with marbles on them.  And it works.  

Most of Laurie's tales seemed fresh.  The mom-clipping-hamster-pix one I'd hear before and there was variations on her don't-tell-me-your-dreams and a few others.  She opened with a sort of hypnotism/meditation visualization piece and closed with this hilarious and self-revealing piece on a Buddhist river rafting trip that was supposed to be in silence.  It was all very existential, evocative, elusive and entertaining.  

At lunch, she said that she was just making up the shows on the morning before the show.  I called BS but she convinced me that was part of her process.  Obviously, there were a lot of pre-set stuff, but after all, it is jazz.  

After the show, the crack-&-peels let us visit for a moment with Laurie while she was packing her gear.  There were only 7 of us.  The others kind of babbled like fans do.  Laurie and I immediately continued our conversation from lunch, which darted back and forth about Tai Chi and PRC.  

I messed up on my facebook album settings but just fixed that.  More pix to come.  I'll forward it all to Scapino when I'm done. Maybe we should all forward them to him.  That would be hella funny.  It'll take a day or two.  It'll finish with my pic of me & Laurie in MOMA.  

I kinda wish I went to all five shows now.  DRONES was definitely the climax.  That was the best show I saw all year, and is jockeying for a position as one of my top dozen or shows ever.

RE: Laurie Anderson - Greg - 12-03-2018

Crack and Peels? I'm just not down the lingo you kids use today.

RE: Laurie Anderson - Dr. Ivor Yeti - 12-03-2018

Rhyming-slang for, um...I got nothing.

Srsly? U don’t know crack&peels?

RE: Laurie Anderson - Dr. Ivor Yeti - 12-03-2018

PCP mixed with orange rinds. The kids call it Crack & Peel

You know, the whiskey cocktail I had at SF Jazz had an orange rind. It was Jim beam, some odd bitters, and a lot of ice - and $14. I was grateful for the rind.

A crack&peel is a stickered show pass, usually reserved for VIPs, although sometimes their just temp show passes. I have a lot from my warfield daze. The date is written in with a sharpie. As long as I’ve been in the biz, they’ve always been called crak&peels. It’s fun to say.

RE: Laurie Anderson - Drunk Monk - 12-04-2018

(12-01-2018, 03:24 AM)Drunk Monk Wrote: Drones was ecstatic. By far one of the trippiest spaces I’ve ever experienced. A true triumph for SF Jazz, Grace, Laurie, and of course Lou.

(12-01-2018, 10:06 AM)Drunk Monk Wrote: The acoustics in Grace are divine.

I'm still vibrating, still echoing.  Maybe it'll never stop.  DRONES spun me sideways.  Things are blurry and bizarre.  Maybe that massive bass shook something lose.  I did have a really purgative bowel movement during the show.  The restroom break was expressly relieving.  

Should I try to follow DRONES?  Like following the Dead but DRONES?  Laurie said they've done it like more than a dozen times. They did one somewhere in Africa where it went over several days, 8 hours a day.  They plan to do more, experimenting with other different venues.